Snow Peak Carry-On Chopsticks L

Great chopsticks for use camping / traveling. I bought…

Great chopsticks for use camping / traveling.

• Lightweight / compact design
  • Textured tip grips good easily
  • Carry pouch keeps them from getting lost

• Heavier / less all-purpose than spork

I bought these more as a novelty a few years ago. Chopsticks aren't as all-purpose as a spoon or a spork, so I don't usually bring them camping with me. However, I do prefer them to airline / airport utensils, so I often bring them when I travel. I have also found that they are just generally good to eat with. I usually break them out any time I want to each with chopsticks at home, then they go back in my backpack afterwards.

When disassembled, each of these chopsticks is comprised of wooden tip with a small metal screw on the end that fits inside a metal housing. The housing has a small, threaded hole on one end and a small o-ring-sealed metal stopper (which also has a drainage hole) on the other.

The cloth pouch these fit inside is made of fairly durable fabric.  I have been using these for several years now and neither the pouch nor the cord attached to it show the slightest bit of wear.  The only thing that would give away the age of these chopsticks is the velcro closure on the pouch which has begun to lose some of its adhesive power.

The wooden tips on these chopsticks set them apart from other folding chopsticks I have encountered in the past (folding chopsticks were once commonly used in the Korean submarine service — when I was in Korea, they were still fairly common).

Many of the folding chopstick sets I have encountered in the past are made entirely of metal. These work well for stickier foods like sushi rolls, but make slippery noodles a royal pain. The textured wooden tips on the Snow Peak Carry-On Chopsticks makes them far easier to use for a wider variety of foods.

When disassembled, these chopsticks are only 4.5" long and easily fit into a backpack, briefcase, pocket, etc.  When assembled, they are full-sized chopsticks (mine are 9" long when assembled).

Setting up these chopsticks is really easy. You simply remove the stopper from the end of the metal tube, remove the tip from within the metal tube, screw the tip onto the opposite end of the metal tube, and then replace the stopper.

Cleanup is equally easy thanks to drainage holes on both ends of the metal portion of the chopsticks. You can clean your chopsticks and immediately stow them. Any excess moisture evaporates out the holes at either end.

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

So funny that there are camping chopsticks! Since I was a teen, I've never brought a fork into the woods. I've just cut 2 sticks off a bush and eaten with them. If you are in a wooded region, you can save yourself the weight and forego packing them in. Glad some other people have thought of the Asian way in the woods. Thanks for the review.

Snow Peak Carry-On Chopsticks L

The Snow Peak Carry-On Chopsticks L is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 24, 2015 at

If you're looking for a new utensil, check out the best reviewed current models.