Snow Peak GigaPower Lantern, Auto

I bought one of these in a package deal off of eBay…

I bought one of these in a package deal off of eBay I got for an awesome price. I have used it once on a weekend trip it worked very nice it was very soft and pleasant unlike the light from a LED lantern. I have used many different lanterns candles, white gas, kerosene, propane, led and bulb types.

The only bad point to this lantern I have came across is fuel it is a little pricey and heavy but not too bad and no lanyard for hanging.

The good points are its light weight, adjustable lamination, optional mesh globe, small and compact. There are a few more I didn’t cove but I got the basics. The auto light is nice but I would also pack a lighter or matches just in case.

Bottom line this is a good product that I would definitely recommend to a friend.

This is a great lantern that can be used for different…

This is a great lantern that can be used for different types of outdoor activities. I use mine for both backpacking and kayak camping.

A great feature to consider is the piezo electric start, makes lighting it much easier than dealing with matches or lighter. Adjustable fuel valve allows brightness from very faint to super bright. Moderate opening of valve will conserve fuel and still get you the light you need.

I converted the glass globe to mesh screen globe (available from Snow Peak). Light output somewhat diminished but not an issue for me.

2 things to note, top of lantern gets hot (to be expected) so just be aware of anything that could burn or melt near it. Also it doesn't have any way to hang it from a nail or tree branch. I made a hanger from a piece of piano wire that works great.

Overall great quality as usual from Snow Peak.

80 Watts of light in this tiny package -- sweet. Two…

Price Paid: Forgot

80 Watts of light in this tiny package -- sweet. Two weeks after I bought it, they came out with a 120 watt. You may want to consider that. The best thing about this model is its compactness and brightness. Light is bright and easily adjustable down to candle brightness. It is quiet too. Mantels are moderately easy to put on, but you kind of need a little trail and error to get the igniter wire to poke out of the mantel at the correct position.

One minor complaint: The gas does not always ignite right away. It takes a few tries to get it started all the while you get a little nervous about a flareup from too much gas, so keep your face back.

If you've owned or used a Snow Peak GigaPower Lantern, Auto, please share your experience.