Snow Peak Starter Kit

Used this for my entire thru-hike of the Appalachian…

Summary

Used this for my entire thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in 2012. Good stuff.

Pros

• Compact
  • All fits into the cup
  • Piezo igniter was resilient

This is one of those items that everybody has a different opinion about. I saw huge kitchen sets with pots/pans, tiny homemade lightweight alcohol stoves, and some people who never carried anything like this and either ate cold food or cooked on a fire. Whatever your style, I personally loved this set.

What you see in the picture is what it comes with: a titanium spork, a cooking mug with a lid, and a Snow Peak stove with Piezo ignitor. All of these things plus a small fuel canister will fit inside of the cup and into a little baggie, which is awesome. It keeps everything together and compact, which is perfect.

The igniter worked great and lit just about every single time on the first attempt. The cup was a good size, and I even got to the point where I was cooking two Ramens for dinner in it like it was a science. I like how you are able to control the flame, because occasionally I would simply need to simmer my food.  After six months of heavy daily use, one of the legs started to get wobbly, but seriously that's just being nit picky.

All in all it held up wonderfully on a huge hike, and I would definitely recommend it.

If you've owned or used a Snow Peak Starter Kit, please share your experience.