SOG PowerLock

Weight 9.6 oz
Closed 4.6 in
Open 7 in
Head Type Needle Nose

Very good quality components and assembly. Most tools…

Summary

Very good quality components and assembly. Most tools are usable, the powerlock feature really makes a difference in using the can and bottle opener. The 1/4 inch drive and scissors are of limited usability.

Pros

• Component quality
  • Assembly quality
  • Assortment of tools

Cons

• Scissors are weak and not practical
  • The two screw drivers could be longer
  • A little heavy for backpacking if you OCD about weight

I picked this up on a whim when I was going surf fishing 6 years ago. I realized I had left my nail clippers at home, we stopped at a tackle shop and I decided to get a multi-tool. I was going to get a cheaper one but the guy at the shop recommended the SOG over everything.

The tool is very practical for any fishing application but I found it great for surf fishing. In south Louisiana at least surf fishing is being in the water over your hips at times. It is nice to have a single tool that allows you to cut line, make a rudimentary measurement and pull a hook out without getting your fingers anywhere near teeth. Maintenance consist of rinsing the tool off in fresh water and once every four or 5 trips soaking it in fresh water for a half hour or so.

As for around the house use, it makes a great BBQ accessory. It's nice having a bottle opener handy for the one guy who brings the beer that doesn't have a twist off cap, or slicing limes for the margaritas or cerveza. You can even open a can with it as a neat little party trick. Granted other things around the house may be more  practical but this is all in one neat little package.

It took some practice to get the implements to come out especially since a lot of this was done one handed with a fishing rod in the other. Still I was able to get the two I used the most, the file and the knife out easily. I wound up rigging a safety line on it after I dropped it when a wave hit me. I was lucky the thing landed on my foot underwater.

The two biggest complaints I have concern the scissors  and the 1/4 inch drive. The scissors are limited in what they can cut (they fray braided line badly) and the 1/4 inch drive could manage only low amounts of torque. The two screw driver blades could be longer but that is more of a personal preference I suspect.

As I mentioned above if your OCD about weight a person might not see this as practical for backpacking because it does weigh a lot. Still I found the trade off of build quality and workmanship more than made up for the weight.

This is one solid multi-tool. Every function of the…

This is one solid multi-tool. Every function of the PowerLock works phenomenally. I'm especially impressed with the saw and the needle nose pliers with their compound leverage. I've beat the piss out of mine, and only managed to knock off a piece of the 1/4 drive.

The missing link to the 5 star is the hand guards that flip open and closed. Mine are out of line and no longer lay flat. It doesn't affect the use of the multi-tool at all, just happens to be the spec in the eye.

Visit SOG's PowerLock page.

SOG Power Lock Multi ToolThe SOG Power Lock Multi Tool is a device that you can trust with your eyes closed. It comes with a multitude of tools like a double-tooth saw, a half serrated blade and a 3-sided file for every kind of cutting and filing need that you may have. The in. socket driver, the Phillips screwdriver and assortment of screwdrivers (small/medium/large) answers to any fixing need that you are likely to encounter. An awl, a can and a bottle opener are additional advantages that are there for your convenience. A handy pair of scissors has been thrown in for those unexpected cutting needs. A wire cutter and wire crimper will prove to be handy for any metal work that may come up on your adventure. Compound leverage allows ease and comfort, decreasing the effort that you have to put in. Comfort grips complete the package, making it a must have for the explorer! Get the SOG Power Lock Multi Tool today and you will never have to lug around heavy equipment for the outdoors anymore!

- SunnySports

CLOSEOUTS . SOG's Powerlock Multi-Tool ensures you'll be ready for any situation with more than 15 different tools, a safe, lockback design and the power of Compound Leverage gears. Available Colors: BLACK.

- Sierra Trading Post