SOG Seal Team Elite

Blade Length 7 in x .24 in
Overall Length 12.3 in
Weight 10.3 oz
Edge Partially Serrated

Although sold as a tactical blade because of its serrated…

Price Paid: With the nylon sheath, $125 + tax

Summary

Although sold as a tactical blade because of its serrated edge, this makes a great bush crafting knife for camp use. It is made of AUS-8 stainless and can be used in any environment. It has been heat treated and low temperature treated to become the tough, edge holding ultra knife.

It is coated in black to avoid reflections and shed chemicals. It is a hollow grind to become shaving sharp. It is easy to sharpen with a diamond rod or just strop using white rouge on a piece of leather.

Pros

• Physically bullet proof
  • Holds an edge and doesn't need sharpening in the field
  • Cuts rope better than a non-serrated knife
  • Has three separate spine curves for scraping tasks
  • Has a piercing clipped point for processing small game
  • Doesn't slip in the hand as the scales are waterproof

Cons

• It is a rugged knife, not for the beginner

This knife has run the gamut of all uses. It performs admirably in every scenario. I have both the standard nylon sheath and the KYDEX sheath, to which I've added a custom ferro rod holder. I am partial to the KYDEX sheath.

This is a knife for the ages. It performs every task well, no matter the environment. I've also used this and compared it to my titanium dive knife... it wins, hands down at the same price point.

I've had it for about three years now and can't imagine not having it at my side.

Thanks for the review, Bruce. Got any pics of your SOG you could share in your review?

Bruce Havourd

The only photos of it were for a friend who was interested in how I strop my knife. I have never "sharpened" my blade, but am thinking of putting more of a convex finishing edge to make it stronger. I compare it to my Fallkniven F1 and it comes up a tad short. It costs a bit less, but you could make it more amenable to bush crafters by grinding a flat on the spine for use with the ferro rod.

Thanks for the info, Bruce. Perhaps you'll review your Fallkniven F1 someday.

Bruce Havourd

After using my Fallkniven F1 for as long as I've used my SOG Seal Team Elite, I'll be in a better position to do that. So far, it's one of my favorite blades of a dozen or so I own.

Sounds good, Bruce.

SOG Seal Team Elite

The SOG Seal Team Elite is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 22, 2010 at SunnySports.

If you're looking for a new fixed-blade knife, check out the best reviewed current models.

Vargo Alcohol Fuel Bottle Review