Solstice Golden Alpine Shell

This is a very well-made, high performance mountain…

This is a very well-made, high performance mountain shell. I bought it on closeout, and have been completely amazed at the value and performance of this shell. It has a permanent place in my alpine gear bag.

The Golden Alpine is a technical shell, with a stripped down design that provides excellent fit, great ventilation and breathability, and resistance to the elements. The fabric and construction stands up to the high winds at Mammoth Mountain and after a season of use, still looks like new.

Instead of pit zips, the Golden Alpine uses large chest pockets. I was skeptical at first, but frankly I think that the chest pockets work better (and you still have side handwarmer pockets.

The detachable hood is usually stowed in my pack, but when it's time for more coverage, it fits easily over my XL Leedom helmet.  Details like the zippers are top-notch, something I can't always say about some other big-name clothing firms (e.g. Mtn Hardwear).

Another thing that I love is that you don't see 25 other people wearing the same jacket! I got mine in two-tone yellow, and it's got a slightly Arc'Teryx look to it.

All in all, the Golden Alpine is easily worth the list price of $250. At a discount, it's an utter bargain.

4.5 Stars!