Solstice Timberline Parka

Not a bad parka- bought it for 1/2 price; I paid $100…

Fabric: Micro-Shed
Price Paid: $200 (Bought on-sale for $100)

Not a bad parka- bought it for 1/2 price; I paid $100 for the Solstice Timberline Parka with Micro-Shed. I have worn this parka in some fairly severe weather (i.e. heavy rain) it has held up quite well, on a few occasions a small wet spot did occur on the back of the parka, however this moisture was not caused by outside precipitation soaking in, it was caused by sweat, (i.e. breath-ability problem).

The jacket is fairly warm, especially when combined with a fleece liner (I used a fleece vest I purchased for $20 -- not a vest from Solstice Company). The vest improved the jacket's warmth. When combined with wool/polyester mix base layer (i.e. Duofold) warmth is increased considerably. Wool sweater not a bad choice also.

Not a bad investment for those with a tight budget, but if you can afford to shell out $300+ I would go with a North Face parka.

I bought a Solstice Backpacker. It wasn't that great.

Fabric: Microshed

I bought a Solstice Backpacker. It wasn't that great. I called Solstice and they said "pick a jacket--any jacket." I picked the Solstice Timberline and they sent it to me (at $40 difference) with a return shipment sticker (already paid) for the Backpacker. When I asked how they wanted their $40, they said that it was on them, as their products are guaranteed.

I have had the Timberline for about 1.5 years and have beaten the crap out of it at Longs Peak, Mt. Evans (Colorado), all over Northwest Arkansas and SW Missouri. This jacket takes the rocks, the thorns, the rain, hail, snow, sleet, tornados, etc. Why spend extra $$ on a has-been technical company (TNF) that now makes clothes for the wanna-be crowd found in malls across suburbia!!?? TNF is overpriced China-made crap and their customer svc. is non-existent--you CAN'T get anyone on the telephone. Also, if anyone thinks they might want to shop at Ozark Adventures in Springfield, Missouri--DON'T!!! The owner is a lying jerk and their stuff sells for more than MSRP!!

Should you choose to challenge my remarks, mail me back as I probably won't check this site until I am really bored (like, three years from now).

The Timberline Parka is a very sturdy jacket with…

Fabric: microshed

The Timberline Parka is a very sturdy jacket with tough overlays on the shoulders and arms. However, Microshed is not much more breathable that Ultrex, and the hood is poorly designed.