Sorel is not what they used to be. Once a big corporation…

Price Paid: Too much

Summary

Sorel is not what they used to be.

Pros

• Washable liners
  • Replaceable liners
  • Warm
  • Comfy
  • Good traction

Cons

• Split at the toes
  • Filled with snow
  • Not a lot of ankle support

Once a big corporation starts going "We can make things cheaper" what do you get? After three months they started to crack and split at the toe bend. After talking to other people these boots were not defective, this is a manufacturing flaw. So I broke out my old 20-year-old Sorels that were made by Sorel.

Started looking at the Baffin Evolution for this winter

Lots of positives, but if your liners are getting wet then so are your feet—not good at -20°.

The pics are were I tried to repair them to get me through the season with gorilla tape and goop

Pics to follow

Thanks for the review, Paul. I'd be curious to see some pictures of your new and old Sorels for comparison in your review.

Paul Lapierre GUIDE/OUTFITTER

The old ones are packed away here are the new ones

Thanks, Paul!

Paul, did you contact Sorel about the problem? Is there a warranty on them?

Paul Lapierre GUIDE/OUTFITTER

No warranty. Bought on line. Talk to a friend that had them warranty by a local store and 2 month last guess what. That's why I know it is a manufacturing flaw.

pillowthread

@Paul: If you find yourself in the market for new pacs, I can heartily recommend Schnee's. I've used their Hunter II model for a few seasons of winter Forestry work, and they seem to hold up well.

Growing up in the north and on a horse farm, it was…

Summary

Growing up in the north and on a horse farm, it was always important to ensure we had good, warm boots to get us through until the spring thaw. Sorel Caribou boots, classic and rugged, have provided me years of loyal trustworthiness that few other boots have offered.

Pros

• Removable insert to help dry overnight
  • Full leather upper
  • Lug sole that ensures stable traction on snow and ice

Cons

• Heavy
  • Break-in time is a little longer than synthetic materials

Has the ice fishing bug caught your soul? Do you have endless chores to do even out in the snow or work in frigid temperatures?

One of the most important things than can save your rear end this time of year is a solid warm pair of boots!

Sorel has for decades been the staple of many households. Whether trapping in the Yukon, mushing that dogsled or going out on the lake for some ice fishing, these boots will not only do the job, but you'll continually go to them for their comfort, warmth and durability when a good winter boot is most needed.

I really enjoy hunting during the late season, when the forest is still, and the only sounds you hear is the wind rustling through the bare branches and the crunching of snow when the critters are out and about.

The one thing that would keep me indoors during this time of year was the fear of cold feet! So I began my research, and settled on this classic design that has withstood the test of time for many, many years.

With ample room in the foot to allow your toes to breathe, and enough support that you can stand and walk for many hours without sore feet, you'd be hard pressed to find a better quality winter boot than the Sorel Caribou.

The only downside to these boots in my opinion is the fact that they are quite stiff brand new and it will take multiple trips outdoors to break them in. I highly recommend these for the person who has serious business to do in snow conditions and the outdoorsmen that refuse to let the cold and wet conditions stop their adventurous nature!

Uncle Air

I agree with your assessment, C.C. When young, my feet would freeze in cheap boots which were the only things my parents could afford. Since adulthood, I've used Sorel Caribou felt pacs and have never had cold feet since. IMO, they are a great boot.