Spark R&D Blaze

Awesome binding. No compromise, as good as a normal…

Summary

Awesome binding. No compromise, as good as a normal snowboard binding.

Pros

• Secure Burton straps
  • Highback is responsive but flexy
  • Huge decrease in weight from Voile Universal Sliders

These things are like night and day coming from the Voile Universal Sliders.  They put you right down on the deck where you should be. They ride like a snowboard binding, are super light and are a responsive comfortable binding.

The ratchets are Burton ratchets and are great quality.

I have had no issues with the bindings icing up or packing with snow in touring mode.

Adjustable highbacks allow a huge amount of adjustment, straighten them up for touring mode, or lean them forward for aggressive carving on the descent.

Conveniently match the color scheme of my K2 Panoramic.

I would definitely recommend these. In my opinion, if you're going to get into splitboarding you have already made an investment (unless you made your own, in which the universal kit would probably be OK for moderate use) and these things will seal the deal.

For uncompromised performance and shredability, these bindings are a must have.  They are worth the investment and I can see them lasting for a long time with the aluminium construction.

I have just recently received my Blazes and have only…

Price Paid: 300can

I have just recently received my Blazes and have only put about 4 days in on them touring the backcountry at Shames near Terrace, BC.

The difference from the combo of old Voile slider plates and non-split specific bindings to the Blazes was UNREAL!! I swear I took off 3lbs of hardware when switching to these. The riding performance improvement was unreal as well.  No longer will I be dreading those long hardpacked rideouts that used to cause me fear for my life!

Being lower to the board takes out the racer plate feel and even makes butters possible now! My splitter finaly feels like my regular hill board!!!

The only thing I am curious of is to the longevity of these products. They are sooooo light it makes me wonder how they will hold out to a 100 day season of hard abuse. Only time will tell and I'll let all know as it wears on!

Voile has also got a similar split specific binding but it doesn't seem as though they addressed the problems that Spark has countered. The Voile version is just a simple binding with a built in 1 piece slider plate. Same height and low contact area as the voile slider plate hardware. No gain in my opinion here.

Spark is the way to go, unless you like over engineered stuff then I would recomend the Karakoram set up!! Happy shredding.

If you've owned or used a Spark R&D Blaze, please share your experience.

Spark R&D Blaze

The Spark R&D Blaze is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new splitboard binding, check out the best reviewed current models.