SteriPEN Ultra

The SteriPen line offers a great new tech for h2o…

Summary

The SteriPen line offers a great new tech for h2o off piste. After significant time spent researching the line of products I decided on the Ultra for two reasons. One; it is rechargeable (no peculiar batteries to find) and Two; it doesn't have the battery draining "flashlight" like the Freedom.

Pros

• Easy to use/clean
  • Lightweight (previous filter was PUR)

Cons

• H2O needs to be prefiltered
  • First use failed (subsequent uses have been flawless)

On a light and fast tour around Summit County Colorado this Memorial Day weekend I had good opportunity to goof around with the Ultra. With the low volume and minimal weight this was added to my fastpack kit with no noticeable interference to load distribution. The time saved at refills added up to over an hour.

Really happy with the lack of work as compared to my old PUR (before they named the model Katadyn). More time for running. I don't even have to take my pack off to fill up anymore!

As with any electronic device; learned the manual before setting off in to the wilderness. The smiley face is hilarious, but when snowflakes and lightbulbs start appearing on the screen it is helpful to know what they really mean.