Sterling Rope Evolution Velocity 9.8mm

I have been climbing for about a decade, and and I…

Price Paid: 200

I have been climbing for about a decade, and and I can say that without any doubt, the Sterling Evolution Velocity 9.8mm is the worst rope that I have ever used. Every time I used it, the fuzz would become worse and worse. After only one week of use the fuzz had revealed the core, necessitating the rope to be cut.

I contacted Sterling, and even sent them the damaged section of rope (from Australia), and their response was extremely disappointing. They were extremely slow to respond to my emails, and when they finally got back to me, they advised me that there was nothing wrong with the rope.

I have heard others say that they are very pleased with their Sterling Evolution Velocity rope. So perhaps I bought a lemon. Regardless, I am going to avoid buying ropes from Sterling in the future!

We have been running these ropes at Sylvan Rocks Climbing…

Price Paid: $$$$

We have been running these ropes at Sylvan Rocks Climbing School for the past 2 seasons. Dragging them around the Needles of Custer State Park in South Dakota, and up Devils Tower, they take quite a beating. When you are teaching people to climb, they fall, ropes get worked! We are always looking at other ropes for durability, but balanced with ease of pulling through our belay devices and such.

For now, this is the best we have found for the money. There are probably better ropes out there, but none we have found are this good at this price point, and they are better then many we have tried that cost more.

No doubt larger diameter ropes last longer, but at the cost of increased effort to manage them, the guides all appreciate these strings. If you want your string to last more then a season or 2, get a larger diameter rope....If you like Starbucks over Folgers, buy a Velocity and be happy.

Daryl Stisser
Sylvan Rocks Climbing School

Visit Sterling Rope's Evolution Velocity 9.8mm page.

The Velocity 9.8 mm Dry Rope has it all and is the most popular rope in the Evolution series. Just the right amount of stiffness, so your rope doesn't flop during critical clips and its silky smooth sheath withstands abrasion and slides effortlessly to reduce rope drag. The Evolution Velocity 9.8 is the go-to rope for Chris Sharma when working routes. Now available in a limited edition Sharma Signature custom pattern designed by Chris. The Velocity is our best selling do it all rope in the sub 10mm size range, great for sport, trad, steep ice, and hard mixed routes. The lightweight, durability and great handling on this rope makes it perfect for both novice climbers and experienced athletes!

- CampSaver.com

The Sterling Evolution Velocity Rope is big enough to work projects, but light enough to carry miles through canyons. The Velocity 9.8 has a silky smooth sheath to withstand abrasion and slide effortlessly through gear, while offering enough stiffness for nailing critical clips. Best-selling "do-it-all" rope in the sub 10 mm size range Great for sport, top-rope applications and trad DryCore(TM) treats core yarns to reduce yarn-on-yarn abrasion and moisture absorption Medium size is lightweight, yet retains the durability of fatter 10+ mm ropes Stiff feel aids in clipping, reduces drag and provides smooth handling Dynamic elongation provides a soft lead fall catch Proudly made in the USA

- OMCgear

Climbing gear all boils down to safety and function, and the Sterling Evolution Velocity Bicolor Dry Rope offers plenty of both. As the name promises, the Evolution Velocity Bicolor features a central pattern change to help you quickly and safely locate the middle of your cord. With an impact force rating of under 9kN and a weight of just over 60 grams per meter, this rope is perfect for when you're ready to redpoint that pesky project. Dry treatment helps prevent the absorption of unwanted water weight during alpine pursuits.

Just like the solid Velocity this 98mm rope has it all and is our most popular of the Evolution series Just the right amount of stiffness so your rope doesnt flop during critical clips and its silky smooth sheath withstands abrasion and slides effortlessly to reduce rope dragWhat makes Sterlings BiColor ropes unique and a leader in industry is the dramatic color change in the middle Finding the center is easy quick and accurate even in low light situations These ropes have the same construction and award winning performance as their single color namesakesNote that this item of climbing safety equipment is nonreturnable Please call us toll free at 8772368428 or email bentgatebentgatecom with any questions

- Bentgate.com