Stohlquist Contact Fingerless

A surprisingly good pair of gloves for the price.

A surprisingly good pair of gloves for the price. Decent fit and breathable enough in most conditions. Have held up really well over the past few years.

• Successfully prevents blisters
  • Fuzzy spot for wiping water off your sunglasses

• Tight on fingers, while loose on wrists

I bought these because they were on sale and I need something to stop my hands from blistering. I get terrible blisters on the sides of my thumbs and between my thumb and first finger when I kayak or canoe without gloves. I’ve been using them for about three years now, and they have minimal visible wear.

There’s nothing that stands out as making these gloves super awesome, but they perfectly fulfilled my expectations and perform the task I got them for without me ever having to think about it.

Ease of Use:

They pull on easily, but I pretty much have to pull them inside-out when taking them off as they’re tight on the fingers (though never cut off circulation). It’s easy enough to pop them back out again, so while it annoyed me a bit at first, I wouldn’t mark them down for it.

I like the soft area on the back of the first finger for wiping moisture off my glasses. They’re well-ventilated on the back keeping sweat at a minimum, but waterproof on the palm keeping my palms dry and blister-free.

The waterproof palm feels really thin giving you a great feel for the paddle. I was afraid this might cause them to tear more easily, but so far so good.

I really like the fact that they’re fingerless. They keep my hands cool and in contact with the paddle.  In cold, rainy conditions I don’t even notice the tips of my fingers getting cold since my face is more sensitive anyway. Though I can’t say they do much to keep the covered parts of my hands warm.

Construction & Durability:

Almost three years and counting. I’ve used them mostly in ideal paddling conditions, but also for at least 5 days in rain. No visible signs of wear. They live in the front pocket of my life jacket when not on my hands.

I would definitely recommend these gloves — relatively affordable and reliable.

Nice review, Siltloam! Thanks for sharing it.

Joseph Renow

Nice review would you say these gloves rate compare to a cheap pair of nitrile coated gloves with the finger-tips removed?

Do you mean like gardening gloves?

Assuming that is what you mean, I would say these would give you a lot more control due to the super thin palm. I tried paddling in my biking gloves once and the padded palms were super annoying with the kayak paddle. Though, the biking gloves would probably be better with a canoe paddle, but I digress. The biking gloves absorbed water into the pads and I imagine the material under the nitrile would as well. I do see how those could hypothetically effectively prevent blisters though.

Joseph Renow

Sorry Silt...I meant these gloves: ...they are made out of a thick "pantyhose" like stretchy synthetic fabric with the inside of the palm and fingers coated in a rubber-like compound.

As a soil scientist - they're all gardening gloves to me. :) I'm not familiar with that type of material, the only nitrile-lined gloves I've had are knit fabric underneath, so I don't think I could comment.