Stoic Hadron Down Anorak

With an ultralight pertex quantum shell, 850 fill…

Price Paid: $99 plus tax & shipping

Summary

With an ultralight pertex quantum shell, 850 fill goose down, hood, and hand warmer pouch in front, the Hadron is extremely lightweight for hooded down outerwear. Sized appropriately, it can layer over a vest or fleece shirt without being overly baggy. Hood has no adjustments but is cut to stay in place and allow good peripheral vision. Snap closures let you open the neck for venting. The Hadron doesn't impart the instant warmth of a heavier down parka, but is sufficient insulation to stay warm down to and a bit below freezing.

Pros

• Sizing is accurate
  • Fit and finish is well done
  • Effective hand warmer pocket
  • Nice fitting hood
  • Very lightweight
  • Generally well thought out design and execution

Cons

• Elastic cuffs on the sleeves too tight — need stretching or removal

I purchased the Hadron for my ultralight backpacking kit. It is my primary clothing insulation.  Paired with a nylon shirt, fleece shirt, micropuff vest, rain parka, gloves, and fleece cap, my head and torso are fully protected at rest down to and below 0°F.  Perfect for any day hike or extended trip to the high Sierras, the Hadron is lignt, warm, and stuffs down to the size of an orange.

Size and Fit: The Large men's fit me perfectly, for reference Patagonia medium outerwear is usually snug while their large is always a bit too roomy. The large Hadron is cut large enough to layer over a fleece top and micropuff vest without being baggy.

Comfort: Neck can be unsnapped to open for ventilation. Hood has no adjustment cord but is cut sufficiently to keep you warm and no obscure your vision. The sleeves are non-adjustable and tight, finished with a 2" stretch knit material that almost cuts off cirulation in my wrists. I've stuffed them with jelly jars and let them sit overnight and it has eased the tight grip of the cuffs. I may eventually cut them off as I see no need for them.  The kangaroo pocket is insulated and keeps ungloved hands effectively warm.

Durability: The Pertex fabric is very thin. It's not bomb proof but previous experience with Pertex tells me I don't have to "baby" this anorak. I will be careful of sharp snags however.  till, I won't be bushwacking or climbing while wearing it.  At rest stops and in camp it should do nicely.

Ashleigh

Thanks for your review, Steve. I have always been interested in these.

If you've owned or used a Stoic Hadron Down Anorak, please share your experience.