Stoic Hadron Down Cardigan

It's okay, but I've seen better (even less expensive)…

Summary

It's okay, but I've seen better (even less expensive) products out there.

Pros

• Warm
  • Decent price

Cons

• Molts like crazy
  • Overly tight cuffs
  • Ugly!

This is my first time with a product like this. I was surprised at how much it "molts." I don't know if that's normal or not, but every time I took it off, my undershirt was covered in fine feathers. (Please let me know in the comments section if this is normal or not.)

It definitely provided the warmth I was looking for, and I found it to make a great pillow when stuffed into the bag for my sleeping bag liner. So, I'll give it a "thumbs up" for functionality.

The price is less than many down jackets. Interestingly, I was backpacking with a guy who bought a cheap ($30) JC Penny's down jacket on clearance. Although his jacket was a 650-Down and weighed a few ounces more, it seemed to be better quality and didn't molt.

I had read that the cuffs were overly tight, and I found that to be true. I had to tug on them a bit to get them to relax in the fit.

This thing is butt ugly (you can see it in the video below). However, I'm a firm believer in function over fashion.

In summary, I don't think this item will be on the market for a long time. If you can pick it up cheap on clearance, then you might want to consider buying it. I wouldn't recommend paying $100 for it.

If you've owned or used a Stoic Hadron Down Cardigan, please share your experience.