Sugoi Pace Short-Sleeve T-Shirt

Super comfortable warm weather hiking shirt. Breathes…

Summary

Super comfortable warm weather hiking shirt. Breathes great, dries fast.

Pros

• Breatheable
  • Dries quickly

Cons

• None, so far.

Years ago, when I got serious about hiking, I tried all of the latest and greatest synthetic hiking shirts. They really didn't cut it for me. They always felt hot and stuffy, and I never really felt comfortable. Then I discovered merino wool shirts, and became a big fan.

But having gotten into road cycling in the last few years, and having purchased a number of really comfortable jerseys, it seemed that synthetics had come a long way. I found this shirt on sale at the REI outlet, and gave it a try.

I've tried it on a couple of long warm day hikes recently... at Armstrong Redwoods and in Tahoe Sierra Meiss Country. It's got a very comfortable airy feel, with excellent breathability. Moisture management is really terrific... most perspiration evaporated off the shirt before it even got a chance to get wet.

The only exception was the back up against the pack, but after the pack was taken off, it dried very quickly. The Meiss Country hike was on an extremely windy day (with gusts up to 25 mph), but I never got cold or was tempted to put on a jacket, even when stopped for a rest or food.

No obvious stink factor, so far. But you'd have to ask my hiking partners about that one. There is a small zippered pocket on the side seam which could fit gel our card keys without it looking obvious. The flat seams are very comfortable, with no rubbing under pack straps. Though the fabric is light and airy, it feels substantial, and even with frequent gym workouts and dog walks, it shows no sign of wear.

Though I still love the feel of merino wool, this will be my go-to hiking shirt for warm-hot weather hikes.

p.s.  Despite what the Trailspace "product summary" says, this shirt is widely available online.

Sugoi-Pace.jpg

It's not fun to fear for your life when you're out on a morning or evening jog: swerving SUVs, speeding trucks, spaced-out drivers on cell phones. That's why Sugoi integrated 3M Scotchlite reflective accents into the Men's Pace Short-Sleeve T-Shirt to keep you visible when it's getting dark. But don't get us wrong, this performance tee isn't just for dusk and dawn. It'll keep you cool and comfortable at high noon, too. Sugoi used variable knits on the front, side, and back panels of this relaxed-fit shirt for superior moisture management and ventilation. So what if the sun's a-blazin'? You'll run in comfort when you rock this Sugoi tee.

- Backcountry Outlet

Sugoi Pace Short-Sleeve T-Shirt

The Pace Short-Sleeve T-Shirt has been discontinued.

The Sugoi Pace Short-Sleeve T-Shirt is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 24, 2008 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new short sleeve performance top, check out the best reviewed current models.