We have the Sunlinq version of this portable solar…
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $299 NZD
We have the Sunlinq version of this portable solar panel, same panel and manufacture as the Brunton Solaris 6, just a different brand. Overall a fantastic portable solar panel, that is perfect for providing light weight portable power in the back blocks. Works very well and is durable. Great for charging AA batteries, satellite phones, VHF radios, GPS units, head torch batteries and most other portable electronics.
- Very lightweight and compact, the smallest and lightest solar panel with this power output we could find (folds up smaller than a paperback novel)
- Fantastic power output in all conditions
- Very durable and high quality construction. We have been using it for over a year now and still looks like new.
- The flexibility of the solar cells means that you do not need to worry about damaging the panel when it is shoved in your backpack
- More expensive than some other options
- Being so lightweight, it needs to be secured or will blow away with a moderate wind
We use a portable solar panel basically identical to the Brunton Solaris 6 all the time, ours is the Sunlinq brand which is manufactured by Global Solar. The Brunton and Sunlinq solar panels are both manufactured by Global Solar, but sold under different brands. They all use CIGS thin film solar cells, so would have identical performance.
We looked at getting a Goal Zero fold up panel, but these were a lot heavier and not nearly as compact. Since we were going to be taking this tramping and mountaineering, size and weight were really important to us, the Sunlinq stood out here.
We use this solar panel to recharge our AA batteries using a 12V AA charger (charges 4 x AA batteries at a time), the AA batteries are used in our digital camera, head torches and hand held GPS. This works perfectly and it always surprises me how fast the batteries are recharged (2-3 hours), even when there are clouds about, this panel seems to be very efficient at using the available sunlight. We have also used this solar panel to charge a hand held VHF radio and satellite phone on one of our longer excursions, worked brilliantly in this application also.
- Comes with a great range of accessories (ours came standard with all the above mentioned connectors), the extension cord is fantastic. The solar panel can be outside the tent while the battery charger is in the tent, nice and dry.
- Very easy to use, has attachment points at each corner making it very easy to secure to your tent etc.
- There are no "Standard" battery packs or AA battery charges offered by the manufacture, unlike Goal Zero who has a complete range. However there are many companies that offer battery packs and charges for these solar panels, you just need to look around.
Overall a fantastic portable solar panel that is perfect for providing power in the back blocks. Works well and is durable, we are very happy with it and have recommended to many of our friends.
Note: The reviewer is a retailer for this brand.