Talus ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava

I keep this piece of gear with me all the time now.

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (Kept it)

Summary

I keep this piece of gear with me all the time now. Keeps moisture off my face and my whole body warm. Two-piece system is nice. You can stuff the ventilator in your pocket and just wear the balaclava.

Pros

• Moisture away from skin
  • Humidified breath
  • Doesn't freeze up
  • Less goggle fog than regular face masks

Cons

• Looks different

Full disclosure, I work for Talus and have been an avid outdoorsman my whole life. I love being out in cold weather and this product helps me stay comfortable all day long.  While there could be some improvement, this is the best mask I have used so far.

The balaclava hood seems big, but gets snug with the front part of the mask in place. It seems totally adjustable with the amount of velcro on it.  Works great under my ski helmet, keeps my skin warm and dry. No more problems with moisture freezing and making it difficult to breath.  After a while I forgot I was even wearing a mask.

I've used this skiing and mountaineering for the last three years and love it. The plastic piece is softer than it looks.  I like how it stays away from my nose and mouth. No claustrophobic feelings when wearing.

If you've owned or used a Talus ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava, please share your experience.

Talus ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava

The Talus ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 28, 2013 at REI.

If you're looking for a new balaclava, check out the best reviewed current models.