Talus ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava

I keep this piece of gear with me all the time now.

Source: tested or reviewed it for the manufacturer (Kept it)

Summary

I keep this piece of gear with me all the time now. Keeps moisture off my face and my whole body warm. Two-piece system is nice. You can stuff the ventilator in your pocket and just wear the balaclava.

Pros

• Moisture away from skin
  • Humidified breath
  • Doesn't freeze up
  • Less goggle fog than regular face masks

Cons

• Looks different

Full disclosure, I work for Talus and have been an avid outdoorsman my whole life. I love being out in cold weather and this product helps me stay comfortable all day long.  While there could be some improvement, this is the best mask I have used so far.

The balaclava hood seems big, but gets snug with the front part of the mask in place. It seems totally adjustable with the amount of velcro on it.  Works great under my ski helmet, keeps my skin warm and dry. No more problems with moisture freezing and making it difficult to breath.  After a while I forgot I was even wearing a mask.

I've used this skiing and mountaineering for the last three years and love it. The plastic piece is softer than it looks.  I like how it stays away from my nose and mouth. No claustrophobic feelings when wearing.

The Talus ColdAvenger® is designed for a variety of winter outdoor activities where protection from cold is essential. Researched and developed in Northern Rocky Mountain winters and tested in snow and freezing weather, ColdAvenger™ keeps your face warm and dry while helping humidify inhaled air and allowing you to breathe freely.

ColdAvenger® has been used with comfort at -20ºF. It’s the ultimate ski mask for winter face protection during outdoor activities. Include it in your essential ski and snowboard gear. Ski, snowboard, snowmobile, heli-ski, hunt, cycle, motorcycle, or work in comfort outdoors with the Talus ColdAvenger®.

The Expedition Balaclava use Polartec Wind Pro fleece, which provides provides just the right amount of stretch for optimal fit. Mask attaches with hook; opens from either side and is fully removable for easy access.

Features:

• Protects face and airway from cold weather

• Allows you to breathe freely during outdoor activities

• Wicks away moisture to keep your face dry

• Humidifies dry, cold, inhaled air

• Keeps temperatures inside 40o F to 60o F higher than
    outside

• Fits with goggles and helmets

• Prevents fogging of goggles

• Adjustable, removable interior valve allows control of
    air intake

• Polyurethane ventilator has inherent microbial
    resistance

• Medical grade polyurethane

• One size fits all

The Talus ColdAvenger(R) Expedition balaclava provides ultimate protection for your face and respiratory system, allowing you to breathe freely during high-activity outdoor sports in extreme cold. ColdAvenger ventilation system mixes cold air with exhaled warm air to keep inside mask temperatures 40 to 60degF higher than outside, depending on the activity. Patent-pending ventilation system lets you breathe easily during high exertion so you can perform to your best. Exhaled moisture binds to the flexible plastic ventilation piece, keeping your face dry; ventilation piece is made of medical-grade, antimicrobial polyurethane plastic. Polartec(R) Wind Pro(R) balaclava protects your entire head from cold weather, sun and wind; fabric has a touch of stretch to enhance fit. Ventilation piece attaches to the balaclava with rip-and-stick tabs and is easily removed from either side. Long neck gaiter is cut lower in the front than in the back for full coverage and protection. Fabric helps to wick moisture and offers excellent breathability and quick-drying efficiency. Designed to fit well with goggles and helmets.

Talus ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava

The Talus ColdAvenger Expedition Balaclava is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 28, 2013 at REI.

If you're looking for a new balaclava, check out the best reviewed current models.