Tanka Bar

Weight 1 ounce (28.4 grams) per bar
Calories 70 per bar

Great tasting bar that stays with you for quite awhile.

Source: ordered it online

Summary

Great tasting bar that stays with you for quite awhile. Love to take a couple with me on a hike.

Pros

• Excellent flavor, especially the spicy pepper blend
  • 7g of protein and 70 calories
  • No nitrates, and hormone free

I am not usually a big meat eater, but I was getting tired of the same old hiking food, like the shots, Gu packets, etc.  so I decided to try these buffalo bars. They are easy to slip into a pocket or hip belt pocket and I love the flavor. They are not too sweet and they add a needed variety to my stash of food in my pack.

I have shared them with several of my hiking buddies and now we are all buying them by the box load! I also keep a couple in my desk at work for emergency snacks.  They are always the first item I pack for a hike after my cheese and crackers.

Useful clean protein on the go, but drippy packaging.

Price Paid: About $3/bar at Sunflower market

Summary

Useful clean protein on the go, but drippy packaging.

Pros

• Clean bison protein
  • Decent flavor
  • Filling

Cons

• Product is wet out the package.
  • Product can drip when you open it--bad for bear country

This bar is essentially pemmican—the native people's travel mix of ground meat, rendered fat, and a little fruit. This version is an option for people who want a high protein, evolutionarily appropriate trail food (via something like the Paleo diet), though I probably will not buy it again.

I believe the bar was 7g each of protein (bison meat) and fat (rendered bison fat) and 1.5g of sugars (ground cranberries), with a few spices like garlic and salt. I felt great immediately after eating it and had a few hours of sustained energy, but the mixture of animal protein and highly acidic fruit sugar from the cranberries left with me with a sour stomach for about the same amount of time.

Pros:

• Interesting flavor
  • Hardcore hit of protein and fat for very long-lasting energy
  • Ethically produced with benefits to a Native American family
  • No chemicals and not over-processed
  • Paleo-diet friendly (only a pro if that's your thing)

Cons:

• Freakin' spendy—over $3 per little 15g bar
  • Very greasy to the touch--definitely needs to be stored in a package
  • Very greasy mouth-feel. Didn't really bother me but would gross out some people.
  • Bad food combining (animal protein and sugar) can make for funky digestion
  • Comes out of the package wet, and can drip meat juice on you or your pack if you're not careful--definitely a con in bear country

Made from tart-sweet cranberries and prairie-raised buffalo, the Tanka Bar is a scrumptious snack with a smoky, slightly-sweet flavor.

100% Natural and only 70-calories, Tanka Bars are the perfect food for anyone who's on the go -- outdoor enthusiasts, students, busy moms, athletes, and pow-wow dancers. Gluten-free, hormone-free and low-fat, the Tanka Bars are deliciously perfect for every diet lifestyle.

Grab a Tanka Bar when you're on the go and need a boost, trying to watch your diet and need a healthy snack, or just craving that grass-fed bison and sweet cranberry taste.

The Tanka Buffalo Bar is charging across the nation thanks to winning a Backpacker Editor's Choice. This all natural protein bar is made from little more than buffalo meat, dried cranberries and a little spice. The buffalo/cranberry blend is delicious and once you take your first bite of this Tanka bar you will be back for more. Seven grams of protein and 70 calories in a serving make this a perfect, energy boosting snack for on the go activities, or a great mid-day snack at the office.Available in a half (6 bars), and full box (12 bars).

- Mountains Plus

Based on a centuries-old Lakota recipe, the 100% natural Tanka Bar buffalo cranberry bar combines real buffalo meat and dried cranberries into a tasty and nutritious bar you can enjoy while on the go.

Description of Tanka BarThe 70-calorie Tanka Bar delivers a slow, powerful protein punch by mixing two primary ingredients low-fat, high-energy American buffalo meat and tasty cranberries. This combination is no accident, and now our Tanka Bar Traditional has been joined by our new Tanka Bar SPICY PEPPER BLEND. Gluten-free, hormone-free and low-fat, the Tanka Bars are deliciously perfect for every diet lifestyle. Tanka Bars are guaranteed shelf-stable for up to 12 months.Features70-calories100 Natural Cranberry Buffalo Bar

- US Outdoor Store