Tarptent Double Rainbow

Weight - with floor 2 1/2 pounds (1135 g)
Sleeps 2
Apex Height 43 inches (110 cm)
Floor Width 52 inches (132 cm)
Floor Length 88-96 inches (223-244 cm)

This is a very lightweight, single wall, two-door…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

This is a very lightweight, single wall, two-door tent that is very durable, easy to set up and withstands inclement weather (especially high winds). Tent material is silicone impregnated ripstop nylon; tent pole is Easton aluminum; full mesh netting for bug protection

Pros

• Dual vestibules/2 doors
  • Roomy
  • Easy set up
  • Durability

Cons

• Weak tent stakes
  • Rain splash back

I received this tent last December as a Christmas gift.  I seam sealed it myself.  After using the tent stakes that came with it once, I swapped them out for a more rugged stake, the MSR Groundhog.  The original stakes were just too weak and easily bent/broken for my use.

I’ve used this tent as my exclusive shelter for almost a year now.  This includes many days & nights on the trail, in all kinds of weather and in varying terrain.

Dual vestibules/2 doors.  This is a nice feature.  It allows you to have two porch-like storage areas and two ways in & out.  My previous tent was a single door, so having two entrances is quite useful (especially when there are two tent occupants).

Roomy.  When I say this tent is roomy, I mean it.  I am 6’6”, 230lbs and it is plenty big enough for me.  It’s the first tent that I can lay down in, flat on my back and not have my feet brushing up against the tent wall.  The bathtub floor is 50” x 90” – incredibly spacious!

TT-dbl-rainbow-2.jpg TT-dbl-rainbow-1.jpg

That's a 77-inch sleeping pad (above).

Easy set up.  Probably the most easy, idiot-proof and fast set up of any tent I’ve ever had.  Insert the tent pole along the center sleeve, stake out the corners and then tighten/adjust as necessary.  So simple, a Neanderthal like me can do it.  I also appreciate being able to set it up in the pouring rain and keeping the vast majority of the inside dry.

Durability.  Almost a year’s worth of use that encompasses about 78 days & nights on the trail or in the backcountry.  It has held up to high winds (over 60mph), sustained torrential rains, blistering heat & humidity, and even some snow/sleet.  I did have to re-seal one seam (along the top ridge vent) after about 6 months of use, but other than that…. no other repairs/maintenance.

As for the cons, I did exchange the tent stakes as mentioned above.  I will accept a few more ounces of weight to have durable stakes that don’t bend when they first encounter tough ground.  The splash back from rain  can happen, but I think with experience I learned how to adjust the height of the walls to account for this, and at least minimize it.

The amount of ventilation the Double Rainbow affords helps reduce condensation and keep it to a minimum.  During high humidity it can occur, especially in the early morning hours (3 to 5 am) when it’s cool and the temperature inversion close to the ground creates the right conditions for condensation.  Nothing a quick wipe with my bandana couldn’t handle.

Overall:  a solid, lightweight tent that stands up well to extended use and weather.

KiwiKlimber

This may be a little personal, but I'm wondering how often you have a second occupant? It seems very spacious, but does it still feel that way with two people in it? My wife and I are both tallish (not 6'6" though) and so I'm always keeping an eye out for tents that would fit us well.

13 hours ago

Light and convenient. Difficult to set up correctly…

Price Paid: from tarptent.com. Cut the middle man.

Summary

Light and convenient. Difficult to set up correctly to keep out rain.

Pros

• Light and easy to set up.
  • Handles wind reasonable well.
  • Made in the USA.

Cons

• Weak constructions in areas.
  • Not easy to keep out rain.
  • Not really free standing without modification.

Not sure this tent is suitable for the Canadian Rockies. It needs pegs for setup, so when the ground or tent pad is covered in rock chips (frequently), you'll be struggling to secure it. Using hiking poles is not very functional, and I also don't want small animals chewing on the handles by leaving them outside.

Some people use a modified sleeve to be able to make the tent free standing when using hiking poles.  I like to take my poles on day hikes from a base camp — a necessity to see the Rockies properly — so this isn't an option for me.  A true free standing tent is more suitable.

I know that there is a setup to allow ventilation and a setup to keep out rain, but trying to raise the sides of the floor to keep out rain is not easy to do without pulling draw strings/straps and the floor too tight. To further complicate things, one of the tighteners became frayed and was almost useless. (Difficult repairs were required.) I'm not unrealistic, but I expect that straps and the tightening system should not have problems in the first week of use.  That's basic.

I also have to prop the corners with boots to get the them set properly.

I even make sure the outer tarp is pulled as close as possible to the ground, but the inside is still vulnerable.  Getting wet in temperatures just above freezing in the Rockies — even in July — wasn't fun.  To be honest, it kept me dry for three of five nights that it had rained.

I found this tent not quite large enough for me and my backpack.  I imagine that for two people it would be tight, so unless you travel with a significant other, why subject each other to your sounds and smells in such close range.  Get your own tents — this one's light enough.

For some people this tent seems to function well.  I'm used to a Sierra Design Observatory — a tent that hasn't failed in seven years of extensive use -—so the Double Rainbow is a bit of a letdown.  It is, however, very light, so the compromise is that it is not heavy duty.  The fabric itself is great, and I had no problems with the fly.  As long as you don't abuse the fabric, it won't fail you.

Be aware that this is an ultra light. Much depends on how you use it. Lean how to set it up for various conditions and monitor the condition of the straps.  Test it out for a few nights where you can make repairs easily. Once it's proven, then head out on a trek.

This is one of, and the first of two, Henry Shire's…

Design: Three season plus, freestanding
Ease of Setup: Under 2 minutes, even for the first time
Weight: 2.5lb without options

This is one of, and the first of two, Henry Shire's tarptents I own. And I absolutely LOVE this tent when I want more room than my Contrail offers, or if I will be hiking in questionable weather.

It handles 60mph gusts with ease, is fast to set up -- under 2 minutes. Thread the center pole, stake out the 4 stakes, adjust as necessary. OR, for a freestanding setup, use your hiking poles.

I also own the "extras" you can get with this tent -- the liner and the trekking pole extenders, since my poles are a bit short. The liner is fabulous for keeping condensation off your gear, or to prevent the "misting" that often happens with silnylon tents in heavy rain. It also helps hold your body heat inside the tent, when the weather turns cold.

This tent will also stand up to a bit more snow than the Contrail, due to its dome-like build.

The vestibules are terrific. They not only hold a significant amount of gear, they also can be put up with a center, attached, rain curtain on both sides, with your trekking poles. Great for cooking in bad weather or just for a nice view when it's raining, without getting the inside of your tent wet.

At 2.5 lbs (without the options), it is a nice lightweight alternative to the heavier tents out there on the market. This one sleeps 2, but you had better like each other quite well. I use it for solo adventures only at this point, but it will sleep my 6'3" hubby quite comfortably too. With a bathtub floor, no rainwater will come in.

So far, this is my favorite tent from Henry Shires. My cost, when I got it, 3 years ago, was $225, including the options of the liner and trekking pole extenders. Well worth it for the money and ease of setup.

This is one great shelter for the go-light crowd.

Design: 3+ season tarp tent which can be freestanding with the use of trekking poles
Ease of Setup: 1 Pole and 6 stakes make for set up times in 2 minutes.
Weight: 1257g

This is one great shelter for the go-light crowd. I use it mainly for a solo shelter, but 2 will fit quite comfortably. This shelter has lots of headroom and with the dual doors/vestibules, entry/exit is made simple and unimpeded.

Speaking of vestibules, Henry has a great arrangement going here. With the addition of the 'rain curtain' you can have the vestibule open and cook under it, during inclement weather. I have on occasion experienced some condensation inside, but certainly no worse (even better) than a lot of double walled tents. Adequate legroom for those that like to s-t-r-e-t-c-h out!

It withstood 55mph gusts in a sandstorm while backpacking in Canyonlands NP, Utah. It requires some careful seam sealing, as there are a few seams, especially around the vestibule attachment areas. With all the screening, it provides good ventilation and excellent protection from insects, etc.

Although it is freestanding with the use of 145cm trekking poles, I just stake it out to achieve a good taut pitch and use the trekking poles to hold open/up one of the vestibules.

During a downpour, water can run off the end of the tent section(around the pole ends) and into the interior of the tent, if you haven't pulled the pole ends all the way out. Just something to watch out when you set up. Set up is fast and easy(2 minutes)
This shelter(with 7 MSR Ground Hog tent stakes) weighs 1257g on my digital scales.

Who ever thought you could get so much space and coverage, for so little weight. I paid $200 on sale.

Tarptent Double Rainbow

The Tarptent Double Rainbow is not available from the stores we monitor.