Tarptent Squall 2

Floor Length 84 in / 213 cm
Floor Area 30 ft2 / 2.8 m2
Interior Height 45 in / 111 cm
Packed Size 18 x 4 in / 46 x 10 cm

I already had a Kelty Gunnison 3.1 and a Henessy Hammock,…

Design: 3 season non-free standing
Ease of Setup: Very easy
Weight: 2.1 pounds

I already had a Kelty Gunnison 3.1 and a Henessy Hammock, but I don't sleep well in a hammock and the Kelty was too heavy, so after a month or 2 of deliberation I settled on the Squall2.

I love the low weight of this tent when you look at the generous footprint, and it's nice and long, almost 7 feet. It also has excellent ventilation all the way around the perimeter, and with this silnylon single wall tent you need all the ventilation you can get!

Condensation is an issue, and you can expect this tent to get pretty wet on certain nights. When this occurs, the tent sags in the middle from the weight of the condensation. It's not a big problem, but I sometimes have to stretch the tent stakes out after awhile to get the shape back.

Another thing I like about this tent is the vestibule at the front which makes it nice to keep boots and pack in from the weather. It also is surprisingly stable when it's windy considering how light it is and it's only held down by 4 stakes.

You can't really set this tent up in rocky ground, at least not very securely, since it is not free standing and if you can't drive the stake in you're out of luck.

I did have to seam seal the tent when I received it, but that was not a big deal. I just used 100% silicone from the hardware store, mixed it with mineral spirits until I got an oatmeal-like consistency, and brushed it on with a foam brush. I have gone through a few very hard downpours with not a drop in the tent, so being a single wall tent is not a big deal to me.

I love the low weight, ease of set-up, good room inside, front door for easy access without having to step over the other person, and the vestibule. Henry makes a great product!

I love this tent. 35 ounces with 2 poles and stakes…

Design: single wall tent
Ease of Setup: easy
Weight: 35 ounces

I love this tent. 35 ounces with 2 poles and stakes included! Held up great in a northern New Mexico high elevation thunderstorm.

Have used on 4 trips now. It has taken me a few tries to get the best set up for wind/rain conditions but totally manageable. I owned an old Eureka Timberline and a Sierra Designs Sirius 2 previously.

This tent is very comfortable for me alone or me and my 70 pound dog. I can sit up in my Big Agnes Hurricane chair at the front and have my morning coffee without my head touching the tent (I'm 5'8").

It's a very good tent!

Price Paid: 190€

It's a very good tent!

• Bathtub floor with floor walls that lay flat as desired for ventilation and additional floor space
  • Dual trekking poles support; front poles available
  • Handle side up pole setup with optional adapters
  • Abundant netting for views, airflow, and insect resistance; bug proof when zipped up
  • Front beak shields rain, provides gear storage
  • Fast setup — 2 minutes from sack to pitched
  • Reflective spectra cord guylines secured by integrated line tighteners
  • Quick drying — inside and out in minutes
  • Small packed size — removable strut for stuffing
  • Catenary ridgelines for wind, sag, and storms

Visit Tarptent's Squall 2 page.

The Tarp Tent Squall 2 - The patent pending Squall 2 offers substantial space and setup improvements to the 1st and 2nd generation Squall design. This tent has no floor and uses trekking poles for support.Features: Dual trekking poles support; front poles available.Hybrid bathtub fl oor — clip / unclip fl oor walls for splash, space, views, and airflow.Abundant netting for views, airfl ow, and insect resistance; bug proof when zipped up.Front beak shields rain, provides gear storage.Fast setup — 2 minutes from sack to pitched.Integrated line tighteners.Quick drying — inside and out in minutes.Small packed size — removable strut for stuffing.Catenary ridgelines for wind, sag, and storms.Reflective spectra cord guylines included.Weight: 28oz Dimensions: 94"x71" Floor Area: 30-37 sq.ft Vestibule Area: N/A Freestanding? Optional Poles: 2 (optional) Doors: 1

- OMCgear

Tarptent Squall 2

The Tarptent Squall 2 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 1, 2007 at OMCgear.