The North Face Arnuva 100 TR GTX

When I got these shoes, I considered them the best…

Use: worn inside
Weight: 210 lbs

When I got these shoes, I considered them the best shoes I have ever owned. I loved them. Within the first couple months though, they started to literally fall apart.

First the little rubber "North Face" logos fell off. No big deal. Then the soles of the shoes started to separate from the shoes. The material on the outside of the shoes is tearing as well.

The amazing thing is that I don't use them as a trail shoe, or even as a running shoe. I wear these to work about 3 times a week. I work inside an operating room at a hospital. Considering the price of these shoes, I am VERY disappointed.

At first these seemed like excellent shoes. Great…

Materials: Gore-tex etc
Use: on/off road running. forests, fields, beaches, etc
Break-in Period: nil. very comfortable
Weight: don't know but pretty light.
Price Paid: £100 ish

At first these seemed like excellent shoes. Great traction on a range of surfaces, very comfortable, plenty of cushioning. Within weeks however I noticed significant wear on the soles and bought a different pair for runs that included a proportion of on road.

Then the toe material started to go. It is felt with a thin layer of plastic over it- not very tough at all. Most of the cushioning disappeared from the the soles after a couple of months. On the upside they do keep my feet dry even when running through long grass and the traction is still good, but they just aren't hard wearing enough, particularly given the price.

Yes, I gave them 5 stars. Let me explain where I'm…

Materials: Gore-Tex
Use: Rough trail running
Break-in Period: Brand new
Weight: 150lbs

Yes, I gave them 5 stars. Let me explain where I'm coming from. Then you can decide how accurate that is.

I've been an avid mountain biker for just over 20 years. New England riding. Last spring, I decided to mix it up a bit and start trail running. Therefore, consider me still a noob.

Having some friends who work at Nike. I got a pair of the Coyotes and also a pair of the Alvords. They seemed to work ok. But the more I got into running, the more they started to hurt. Mostly because of the kind of terrain I run on: steep, loose-rocky, New England single-track and Jeep trails. The golf ball and baseball sized rocks would literally poke through the sole and hurt.

I did try the Coyotes out west on smooth trails and they were great.

Anyway, I just got these Arnuvas. Tough to find, even both North Face stores in NYC were sold out. Had to order online.

Yesterday was their maiden voyage. Holy crap! This is what trail running should have been all along! It was like wearing tank treads, yet tank treads that weighed nothing. No more rock pokes. Better yet, I found myself bounding down the downhills, not just jogging/picking my way down. The spring in these shoes is amazing.

In conclusion, these were worth the ching, at least in my noob opinion.

Rugged, off road, ultra-distance running is made simpler with The North Face's Arnuva 100 TR GTX shoes. GORE-TEX waterproof, breathable lining keeps mud, slush, and snow out while an ergonomic design, TPU lacing cage and friction-reducing heel keep your feet comfortable. The ultra-lightweight compression molded Tenacious Grip outsole holds onto the most unforgiving of trails.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

'The Arnuva 100 TR GTX is ideal for running on rugged, technical trails. It features added support, stability and traction, making this the ultimate shoe for the off-road ultra-distance runner who logs mega miles on these trails.'

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the men's version

The North Face created the Men's Arnuva 100 TR GTX Trail Running Shoes to give you the supreme comfort and weather protection needed for incredibly long races and runs. If you think of a 25-mile trail run in the rain as a casual outing, then you definitely want the Arnuva 100 TR GTX Trail Running Shoes. The North Face added waterproof breathable Gore-Tex inserts to keep your feet dry when the downpour starts. Four-layer outsole construction provides amazing cushion, and a TPU lacing cage for increased lateral support on rough terrain.

- Backcountry Outlet refers to the men's version

CLOSEOUTS . The North Face's Arnuva 100 trail shoe is about as fully-loaded as trail shoes come, offering a breathable Air Mesh and synthetic upper, Gore-Tex(R) membrane and Tenacious multi-directional lugged outsole. Air Mesh upper is backed by a waterproof breathable Gore-Tex(R) membrane. Shock-attenuating Northotic footbed eases the impact on feet Poron(R) heel insert reduces shock EVA midsole with X2 cushioning Tenacious high-traction rubber outsole Weight: 1 lb. 14 oz. pr. Medium width CLOSEOUTS . China. Half sizes order up.

- Sierra Trading Post refers to the men's version

The Arnuva 100 TR GTX features added support, stability and traction, making this the ultimate shoe for the off-road ultra distance runner who logs mega miles on rugged, technical trails.

- Ramsey Outdoor refers to the men's version

The North Face Arnuva 100 TR GTX

The Arnuva 100 TR GTX has been discontinued.

The North Face Arnuva 100 TR GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.