The North Face Backpack Bivy

Bought this for fastpacking and have used it about…

Design: bivy with poles
Ease of Setup: the rear hoop is a bit tough to get set, I think the pole is just a tad too long; other than that - 2 minutes
Weight: 1 pound 13 ounces

Bought this for fastpacking and have used it about 6 nights over the AT in CT/MA and NH.

Pros: easy to set up, packs down very small, lightweight

Cons: no bug netting, requires at least 2 stakes, little ventilation

This bivy is about 85% of everything I'd like in a lightweight solo. I was stuck in it for a 12 hour downpour and it kept me completely dry (I did seamseal it before going out). The fabric does tend to stretch out a bit a few hours after the bivy is initially set up and if you don't re-tighten you'll feel the fabric on your legs.

If it incorporated some king of bug netting allowing you to open the front a bit and somehow eliminated the need for stakes I'd give it 5 stars. This winter I think I'm taking it to a seamstress to add the bug netting, but for this summer, I bought a large square of netting and I just drape it over the unzippered opening.

Don't expect to get your backpack or an animal in it with you, there isn't enough room. I'm 6' and fit fine.

If you've owned or used The North Face Backpack Bivy, please share your experience.

The North Face Backpack Bivy

The Backpack Bivy has been discontinued.

The North Face Backpack Bivy is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 2, 2012 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new bivy sack, check out the best reviewed current models.