The North Face Badlands 75

Heavy duty backpack, providing the support to carry…

Summary

Heavy duty backpack, providing the support to carry 50-60 pond loads over multi-day, rough terrain trips.

Pros

• Comfortable hipbelt
  • Supports heavy loads

Cons

• A bit heavy at 6lbs
  • Have to partially unload the pack to get at the water bladder

I bought this backpack in 2004, and have worn it for many, many miles. In 2013, the pack is still going strong; the pack just won't die. While it has been replaced with newer models, I see these packs on eBay and Craigslist, so I thought I'd add my review.

After 9 years of use and abuse, the pack still preforms well, and enables me to carry much more than I need to on trips, and swallows all of my cold weather gear and sleeping bag during winter trips. With time, all materials start to give out, and for my pack, the load lifter straps have started to fray, causing them to to have enough friction to stay cinched, but thoses are the only issue I've noticed.

This pack will not suit an untralight minded backpacker, but for everyone else who needs a 75l pack and can find a used one in good condition, you won't be disappointed.

This is my second pack and I love it. I bought it…

Design: internal top loading
Size: 4600 cubic inches
Number of Pockets: 1
Max. Load Carried: Never weighed but enough for 4 days
Height of Owner: 5'6"

This is my second pack and I love it. I bought it in winter and tested it out on a treadmill for like four hard miles. That is when I fell in love. Recently I went on a four-day backpack in the Adirondacks with it. This hike was a hard hike that covered most of the great range in the Adirondacks. (we climbed up and down five mountains in one day with fully packed pack.) On this hike it confirmed that it was a great pack. it handled the weight very well and confotably. It also had nice balance to it while using all 4's to climb up and down the mountains.

For anyone seaching for a pack I recommend seaching no further because this is the pack for you at a nice price of about $200. I know I am looking forward to my 3-day backpack in Rocky Mountain National Park later this summer with this pack. and I am also looking forward to the many other journeys that this pack will accompany me on throught the years to come.

Fits me like no other pack. Lots of straps in and…

Design: top loading internal
Size: 75l /4600ci
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 65lbs (maybe more, scale was maxed out)
Height of Owner: 5'7"

Fits me like no other pack. Lots of straps in and on the bag can be an inconvenience sometimes, but it is versatile. I do miss side pockets so I added a lash-on one on one side.

The outer center zip pocket works nicely and holds more than it appears. Of course, the most important aspects are fit, comfort and how it carrys a load. In these it is exceptional. This may not be for everyone, try it on in the store with weight in it.

I have used this pack on three summer trips with considerable elevation gains--Mt. Adams, Mt. Rainier, and Kokanee Glacier, carrying from 40-65 lbs. These trips required a stable load obviously as well to maintain balance. I could not believe how well my back felt after some tough climbs. I used it as my summit pack on Rainier, and it worked well with a harness.

It is a fine pack that fits extremely well. The only…

Max. Load Carried: 24Kgs
Height of Owner: 5ft 7in
Price Paid: $500 Australian

It is a fine pack that fits extremely well. The only problems that i've had is that a small metal plate that fits between the two carbon fibre back supports tears the material and sticks out through the pack. This then allows the pack supports to move together and creates an uncomfortable fit. This has been replaced by the supplier but am concerned that it will happen again, there needs to be better support at each end of the metal plate. Also as mentioned by others users the top lid needs to be made larger so as to allow a better fit when fully loaded. Eg 14 days food and gear. Other than that not a bad pack.

It is one great pack. I've hiked around 100 miles…

Design: internal x-frame
Size: S-M
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 32 LBS
Height of Owner: 5'6"

It is one great pack. I've hiked around 100 miles on the rocky Tennessee trails of the AT and I have had no problems and surely no regrets. I love it.

If you've owned or used The North Face Badlands 75, please share your experience.

The North Face Badlands 75

The Badlands 75 has been discontinued.

The North Face Badlands 75 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 30, 2008 at GearTrade.

If you're looking for a new expedition pack (4,500+ cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.