The North Face Cipher Windstopper Jacket

The North Face Cipher Windstopper jacket is awesome.

The North Face Cipher Windstopper jacket is awesome. I purchased a Mammut Ultimate Hooded Jacket and the Cipher surpasses the Mammut jacket on many levels.

Economically, the Cipher jacket is at least $110 less than the Mammut. The quality of the North Face Cipher is just as good if not better than the Mammut Hooded Jacket. The North Face jacket is thicker but breathes exceptionally well.

I was standing awaiting my X-Country runners to finish a race. I was standing in low 50 degree weather with a Patagonia Capaline pullover under the Mammut. I was chilled standing there waiting for my runners. I returned the Mammut Ultimate and purchased the North Face Cipher and I'm glad.

I snowshoe in the Adirondacks of New York with a base-layer, the Patagonia Nano Puff pullover and the North Face Cipher. I'm never cold. After a couple of miles in the woods I'm taking the Nano off and putting it in my backpack.

I love the long zippers on the North Face Cipher if one needs to vent from overheating. This jacket is worth every 'penny' you pay for this great piece. The North Face Cipher can be utilized in all seasons while engaged in outdoor activity. I'll even have mine in my backpack in the summer months in case cold winds blow into the Adirondack Mountains. I'll even use it on kayaking overnights on chilly evenings in northern Maine of in the Adirondacks.

Great jacket, folks. Try one one. Save some $$$ and disregard the overrated Mammut Ultimate Hooded Jacket and purchase a North Face Cipher for a least (if not on sale) $100 less than the Mammut.

"Gear of the Year"...that says it all. This is a great…

Fabric: Windstopper

"Gear of the Year"...that says it all.

This is a great jacket. Whether it be a sunny day with a bit of wind or a run in just-below-freezing weather, this jacket does the trick. It's stretchy and athletic-fitting which helps keep you comfortable and dry through a wide range of temperatures. I've also worn this jacket running in moderate rainfall and the jacket shed the rain and kept me dry underneath.

I really can't say much more than Outside Magazine said about this jacket. This is the jacket that will take you through 90% of your 3-season outdoor activities.

Update: April 27, 2008

I really don't know what to say about this jacket. I own about a dozen jackets, and...when in doubt, I grab this one.

I live in northern Japan where the sun will be shining one minute and a half hour later, a sea fog will roll in and make it pretty chilly. Being a long distance runner, I need a jacket that will keep me warm in mildly-cold weather but not be too much when the sun pops out from behind the clouds. I've worn this jacket on days just below freezing up to 60 degrees and it remains comfortable. I've worn it in medium rain and light snow and stayed dry.

I don't take this jacket backpacking as it will never fully replace a lightweight hardshell and I have other layer options which offer better weight-to-function value when considered as a package (i.e. a fleece top for insulation + a hardshell). But, if I wanted to take a chance with one jacket on a fast-and-light shred down a trail, this would be my choice.

Spring backcountry skiing, alpine rock climbing, and mountain hikes all have one thing in common: wind. And the only solution to the wind is The North Face Men's Cicpher Windstopper Jacket. This lightweight softshell features a Gore Windstopper membrane that blocks 100% of the wind while remaining insanely breathable for strenuous crack pitches and sweaty skin tracks. Four-way stretch allows full range of motion, and the two alpine hand pockets can be accessed with a harness on.

- Backcountry Outlet refers to the men's version

Running, biking or climbing - however you choose to encode your endorphin rush, the Cipher WINDSTOPPER Jacket from The North Face has you covered. WINDSTOPPER Soft Shell in the body helps you retain core warmth while Apex Aerobic fabric on the underarm and hood panels allows full freedom of movement.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

An Outside magazine Gear Award winner 2007, The North Face Cipher Windstopper Jacket for men continues to give exceptional performance. With a high resistance to wind, this adjustable hooded softshell stands stylishly alone, or layers perfectly under adverse weather conditions. Alpine pockets give a convenient place to warm the hands or stash essentials, while a hem cinchcord snugs up to keep heat in.

- Altrec Outdoors refers to the men's version

Bluebird days in the alpine often come with an invisible enemy'wind. You might not see it, but you can beat it with The North Face Men's Cipher Windstopper Jacket. With Gore Windstopper Soft Shell in the main body and arms, this windproof softshell protects you from the iciest mountain gusts. The North Face used Apex Aerobic softshell panels under the arms and on the hood to give you added breathability during high-output endeavors like climbing and ski touring. The high hand pockets remain accessible with a harness on, and the elastic-rimmed hood stay on your head when the wind whips up.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

The Cipher Windstopper Jacket is a windproof softshell that protects you from the cold mountain air.

- Rocky Mountain Trail refers to the men's version

The North Face Cipher Windstopper Jacket

The Cipher Windstopper Jacket has been discontinued.

The North Face Cipher Windstopper Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new soft shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.