The North Face Dark Star 3D

I switched to this bag from a 15 degree slumberjack.

Fill: polarguard 3d
Temperature Rating: -40
Weight: 4lbs 10 oz

I switched to this bag from a 15 degree slumberjack. its like going from a metro to a ferrari. excellent loft and warmth. although costly it is the perfect bag. I recently used it on a trip to the smoky's in january. I slept in nothing but my underwear while the temperatures were about 0 degrees. It is only 10 ounces heavier than my 15 degree bag, and I have yet to find a better or more accurate weight to warmth ratio. No bag will keep you as warm as it claims, but with a light snack before bed and a good mattress this one will come close

This bag is intense!!! I purchased the Dark Star to…

Fill: Polygaurd Delta
Temperature Rating: -40
Weight: 6.5 lbs

This bag is intense!!! I purchased the Dark Star to use in Virginia of all places. I go winter camping in the mountains on the coldest days we can find. So far I have had three good nights to try it. 3 degrees with a wind chill of -11 and the toe box maintained a very comfortable 68 degrees!! I am very comfortable sleeping in nothing but a polyprop base layer even near 0 degrees. This is a must have if you like winter camping. FYI I have also used it on nights as warm as 25-30 and found it still to be comfortable.

Borrowed a TNF Darkstar for a trip up to Denali. We…

Fill: polarguard 3D
Temperature Rating: -40 F
Weight: 5.10

Borrowed a TNF Darkstar for a trip up to Denali. We didn't get up that high (13,500), so it didn't get that cold (for Denali) maybe -20 on a couple of nights, but I was nice and toasty in my Darkstar. Plus, with all the hoar frost in our tent, pretty much all our gear was soaked by the third day. I'd say the Darkstar retained about 75% of its warmth capacity, even when wet.

I bought this bag from TNF outlet store in Cabazon,…

Design: MUMMY
Fill: Polarguard 3D
Temperature Rating: -40F = -40C
Weight: 5 lbs

I bought this bag from TNF outlet store in Cabazon, near Palm Springs California in Sept 99. This is an absolutely warm bag for seriously cold situations.

I have tested it out on the summit of San Gorgonio mountain in San Bernardino Mtn Range in California and it performs flawlessly.

This is a true work of art - the only thing between you and hypothermia .... worth its weight in gold!

If you've owned or used The North Face Dark Star 3D, please share your experience.

The North Face Dark Star 3D

The Dark Star 3D has been discontinued.

The North Face Dark Star 3D is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new cold weather synthetic sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.