The North Face Dayhiker

Brilliant purchase. I use this bag daily as my briefcase…

Design: Top Loading internal Lumbar
Size: 1000cu.in.
Number of Pockets: 3 main
Max. Load Carried: 30Lb (so far)
Height of Owner: 5' 7

Brilliant purchase. I use this bag daily as my briefcase at work, I take it to the beach or music festivals to lug necessities around, I use it as a carry-on when flying on planes.

Has plenty of room, pockets and stash pocks, over the shoulder carry strap (which is removable), hipbelt is easily tuckable into the mesh back padding.

Would highly recommend to the avid hiker/traveler or as I said use as a briefcase.

Update: November 17, 2009

Only thing I would add...The 2 side stretch bottle pockets. I can put a Camelbak 1.5L bottle in there and it will fall out.

Other uses...Frisbee Golf bag, laptop case, beach bag, messenger bag (has top carry handle...actually its uses are limitless. Dream it and you can use it.

OK -- it's taken me months to figure out how I need…

Design: yuppy outdoorsy style fanny pack
Max. Load Carried: about 13 pounds
Height of Owner: 6 feet 1 inch
Price Paid: stoled it

OK -- it's taken me months to figure out how I need to properly sport this hip pack. Until this point I was of the opinion that this pack was most lame! It kept slipping down my butt and feeling all jiggly when I had it loaded with my accoutrements d'vivre...even with the suspension straps maxed!

Yeah...so anyway. This Dayhiker pack needs to be sported on my side against my hip or just aft of it. The buckle then sits just in front of my opposite hip. The shoulder strap is adjusted so's to bear only a slight amount of the pack's load-weight. This latter feature is especially e-z to adjust for comfort while on the move through difficult terrain. I use the strap to mount a small fixed blade. This way my tool is lying directly across my chest and is accessible by either hand and in a flash at that.

While sported in this manner, the North Face DayHiker comfortably holds about holds my entire load out for a PJ party in the wilderness. This consists of:
*One nalgene of H20, MIOX, Camp tramp (a hefty item), leatherman, poncho, compass, ferrocium stick, 50' of 550 cord, 7x30 steiners, couple of beeners, aid kit and mess.

I've used this pack for plinking with the AR. The Nalgene mesh pockets work well for mag dump-puches. Carried all my AR mags, handgun, 3-4 handgun mags and ammo without soreness and discomfort.

my overall opinion is: this pack took averything I dished it on my adventure outings. It's comfortable to wear when loaded and the only thing I might suggest changing on it is make the shoulder strap wider...like, twice as wide and make it of sturdier nylon so it's a little stiffer for those of us who prefer to mount gear on shoulder straps. Hi-speed, Lo-Drag. Steal yourself one.

With 1000 cubic inches of capacity, the Dayhiker lumbar pack from The North Face has the space to carry all you need for hiking or urban sightseeing.

- Mountain Gear

As you head out for your day trip, you'll find a new level of comfort and function in The North Face Dayhiker Lumbar Pack. The shoulder-free carrying capacity will save your shoulders from strap soreness, while the dual aluminum stays in the hip belt keep the load close to your body maintaining dispersed hip pressure for all day comfort. Attach the removable shoulder strap for heavier loads, or for more extreme pursuits like scrambling or skiing. This is the perfect mating of backpack technology and hip-pack comfort.

- Altrec Outdoors

The North Face Dayhiker Lumbar Pack keeps you happy and comfortable on the trail or in the city-without sore shoulders. Stuff an extra layer, a rain shell, and your camera into the Dayhiker Lumbar Pack's 1000 cubic inch interior. A breathable foam back panel, dual aluminum stays, and a tuck-away hip-belt can comfortably support a full load. Stash your iPod in the zippered front pocket with headphone slit and stroll through town to your tunes. The North Face added stretch water bottle pockets on both sides of this daypack to hold full-sized Nalgenes and side compression panels and straps to consolidate your load for easy carrying. If you want to mix it up, whip out the removable, padded strap and shoulder the Dayhiker Lumbar Pack.

- Backcountry Outlet

A generously-sized lumbar for hikers to stash essentials for a full day on the trail, the Dayhiker's equipped with contemporary creature-comforts so trekkers are prepared to tackle the journey hands-free.

- The North Face

Free Shipping. The North Face Dayhiker Lumbar Pack (Spring 2009 Discontinued) The Dayhiker Pack by the North FaceSpecifications: [Avg Weight] 2 lbs 6 oz (1080 g) [Volume] 1000 in3 (16 liters) [Dimensions] 12in. x 15in. x 8in. (31 cm x 38 cm x 20 cm) [Fabric] 420D nylon, 1680D BallisticsFeatures: Airmesh back panel with frame sheet Back stash pocket Tuckable hipbelt with zip mesh pockets 3-point compression on hipbelt Removable padded shoulder strap Stretch water-bottle pockets Main compartment with divider Secondary compartment with organizer Front stash pocket with audio port Stretch front storage panel Carry handle Reflective hitsThis product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

The North Face Dayhiker

The Dayhiker has been discontinued.

The North Face Dayhiker is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new lumbar/hip pack, check out the best reviewed current models.