The North Face Expedition Guide

I don't own this tent, but I just finished a long…

Design: 4 Season Expedition
Ease of Setup: Straight forward, but not quick (practice!!!)
Weight: 10 lbs +
Price Paid: $700+

I don't own this tent, but I just finished a long trip with one and if I needed a 4-season, 3-person for extended use I would give this one serious consideration. Very similar to the VE-25, but with snow flaps, larger 2nd door and a bit heavier floor. Repeatedly stood up to major wind storms at 10,000 ft on glaciers. Lots of room for 2 and fits 3 nicely if you use vestibules for gear (easily done -- lots of room).

Only two negative comments -- heavy (hence its strength in wind) and the internal guy out points tend to collect rain during major storms (when the water is blown under the fly) and drip on your face and feet. I've heard the VE-25 has the same problem. TNF should use a non-wicking material for these points. Otherwise a great tent!

Excellent tent for three or two strong backpackers…

Design: 4 season mountaineering
Ease of Setup: 5-10 minutes with two people, more in snow
Weight: 7+ kilos

Excellent tent for three or two strong backpackers who need the extra protection and wind resistance. Heavy for two, my wife and I had trouble with the weight.

It survived in all conditions, snow, wind, rain etc. Due to the weight, we have religated it to car camping or when I go winter backpacking with two friends.

If you've owned or used The North Face Expedition Guide, please share your experience.

The North Face Expedition Guide

The Expedition Guide has been discontinued.

The North Face Expedition Guide is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.