The North Face Free Thinker Jacket

I bought the Free Thinker in Canada and have snowboarded…

Fabric: GoreTex XCR
Price Paid: $650 CAD

I bought the Free Thinker in Canada and have snowboarded in it all over the world. It's a great all mountain jacket. I did have a problem with it, I bought the gun metal grey colour and after a year of use the grey started turning green. I took it to North Face who said there was nothing wrong with it.

It wasn't until I came back from a boarding trip in NZ that I went back over old photo's I saw that it had turned a bad shade of green, North Face finally agreed, and after a back and forth argument with Gore-tex about who's fault it was, finally sent me a new jacket.

This jacket it the ultimate ski and snowboard jacket.

Fabric: Gore-tex (infused)
Price Paid: $500 (on sale)

This jacket it the ultimate ski and snowboard jacket. Not only is it completely waterproof and windproof but it is stylish as well as ultra light. Although it is thin, it will keep your body heat in, but still let body vapour out. SomeONE complained about the drop hood that the wind catches it, but considering that is is fully adjustable (so you can tighten it against your body) I don't see this being a problem.

To top it off the zippers have been waterproofed, the pockets are huge, oh and did I mention it has an avalanche rescue system reflector. Also it has an elastic wind belt to stop the wind from going under the jacket. WAY TO GO NORTH FACE!

Perfect shell. I'm using it for freeride skiing. Perfect…

Price Paid: 550€

Perfect shell. I'm using it for freeride skiing. Perfect for use.

But now, only after 2 years, the small thermoglued grey protections start to come off. I will try to use North Face lifetime warranty since it's far from being due to normal wear!

To be honest.. I bought this jacket thinking that…

Fabric: XCR polymers Gore-tex 3layer
Fill: none

To be honest.. I bought this jacket thinking that it will keep me warm when it is cold... But actually it more of a waterproof jacket. My Steep Tech Apogee Down Jacket keeps me the warmest when it us cold outside. Overall the Thinker Jacket does keep me warm when I have layered it with a Denali Jacket though... But still it is very breathable and comfortable. I get many compliments when I do wear it out in the city.

If you've owned or used The North Face Free Thinker Jacket, please share your experience.