The North Face Havoc Mid GTX XCR - Men's

Very lightweight hiking boot, almost sneaker-like…

Summary

Very lightweight hiking boot, almost sneaker-like boots. Was enjoying until it leaked.

Pros

• Weight
  • Looks

Cons

• Leaks water although it is Gore-tex
  • Not durable
  • Keeps my feet a little hot at times

I am a newbie to hiking and it has been only 2,5 months since I started outdoor sports. The activities I do are mostly hiking, canyoning, caving. Although I am new, I have been out doing something every Sunday.

I was looking for a lightweight, hiking boot which was also a waterproof, comfortable boot. I wanted something that I will be able to wear also in summer. As I was a newbie, I did not really know what I needed much. The price I paid for this boot was around 90 usd, which is acceptable in my country (I thought) since it is a known brand and it is Gore-tex. It was an online retailler so I had no chance to try.

I started using it with a one day break-in at work. Although review said, it was not very warm to wear in summer, I found it kinda hot to wear it at work. I normally wear 8,5 US and I bought 9,5 US cause most people advised buying bigger shoes and it was the only one left at this size at the online retailer any way. After some usage, I thought size 9 boot would fit me better as I wear them while hiking. My feet moved a little in the boot.

I used it like four times during summer where three times there were no rain. The temperatures were around 70-80° fahrenheit, so it was not very warm. It kept my feet comfortable, suprisingly not very hot. I used it for hiking with around 5 miles to 10 miles range. It was easy to clean, just some brushing and water around it, it was clean.

The last time I used it, there were heavy rain for around 1 hour and I had no gaiters. Therefore, my feet got wet. I also had to pass through a river so I was not sure if it leaked anyway. But although my feet were wet, I did not feel very uncomfortable. However, when I get home, I was suspicious whether the boots were leaking and to my surprise, the right boot got wet in a minute after a test that I kept them under water so that the water does not flow over the shoe.

So I sent it for testing and got a refund.

If it did not leak, I was really happy about this boot, although it was my first hiking boot.

Too bad your first boots didn't work out, but thankfully you got a refund. I hope you find something that works even better.

Light, size slightly small for my foot size 12, just…

Summary

Light, size slightly small for my foot size 12, just in the length. Feels like the sole is thin also very much like an athletic shoe.

Pros

• Light

Trim snug fit, reasonable support not a lot of padding underfoot. Outer sole doesn"t grip real well on slick surfaces. but probably will last quite well. Flexes real well. Light, light shoe.

I don't think I will use as a multi-day backpack boot.

The North Face Men's Havoc Mid GTX XCR

The North Face Men's Havoc Mid GTX XCR is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 6, 2015 at Mountain Gear.

Gregory Citro 25 Review