The North Face Hightail

I only bought this bag because I could get a screaming…

Design: mummy
Fill: 900 fill down
Temperature Rating: 15 degrees F
Weight: 28 oz

I only bought this bag because I could get a screaming deal on it. That aside, it is the warmest and lightest bag I have ever owned. At well under two pounds, I can't imagine a warmer bag.

The pertex shell is extremely soft, and so far has held up to abuse. It also is surprisingly water repellent. I have packed down and opened this bag many times, and I have yet to see one feather fall out. As far as warmth goes, I would say 15 degrees is a pretty accurate, or even conservative, rating. I was camping last weekend at about 12,000 feet, and it probably got down to mid 20s for the overnight low, and I didn't even have the bag zipped up I was so warm.

Which brings me to the one downside of this bag, the zipper is so short it's hardly even worth it. I would take the few extra ounces for a full length zip, but that's me. Also, it seems that several of the upper baffles are a tad underfilled. No biggie.

That being said, this bag is awesome. Nothing tops 900 fill down. Some of the North Face product quality may have declined in recent years, but their sleeping bags are still top notch. If you have the money for a bag like this, you won't be disappointed.

This is a GREAT sleeping bag. It packs small, light…

This is a GREAT sleeping bag. It packs small, light and toasty warm. It has the highest rated down on the market.

If you've owned or used The North Face Hightail, please share your experience.

The North Face Hightail