The North Face Himalayan Parka

Weight 43.0 oz / 1219 g
Body Fabric 30D 61 g / sq m (1.8 oz / sq yd) Gore Windstopper® Insulation Shell, 100% nylon ripstop
Insulation 800 Fill Goose Down, Climashield™ Neo

Lifesaving jacket. Exactly everyone needs this to…

Source: borrowed it

Summary

Lifesaving jacket. Exactly everyone needs this to approach 8000 meter peaks.

Pros

• Warm
  • Waterproof

Cons

• Price

This jacket is hands down the most expensive jacket…

This jacket is hands down the most expensive jacket I've ever bought. It's also the warmest.

I've worn this in negative degree weather, without any layers underneath, and it still felt like a furnace.

The monkey hand gloves are awesome. They allow you to take your hands out of your gloves without your hands freezing and the neck zippers up far enough to keep heat from escaping through the collar.

My only advice to a would be buyer is to buy it for what it was intended to be used for; frigid outdoor temperatures. It's not the kind of coat you wear to the mall.

As far as complaints about it...my only complaint is that it doesn't come in women's sizes. My wife would love one.

I have one of the original Himalayan Parkas made by…

Fabric: Nylon
Fill: Goose Down
Price Paid: 600 CD

I have one of the original Himalayan Parkas made by the North Face way back in the 80's. It has helped keep me warm through some long Arctic winters, with temperatures dropping to -50C and colder.

It compresses well, into a small bundle, great for packing, yet when unstuffed it regained its loft quickly. The hood is exceptional and fits like a good sleeping bag. The outer material is both windproof and down proof, seams are all tuck-stitched eliminating snags.

Full baffling throughout has maintained the loft of this parka at about six inches and after 25 years of hard use I’d say that was pretty good. However, mine is an old “Brown Label” item made in the USA and I can’t say much about the newer models in particular or the direction the North Face has been heading in general.