The North Face Kichatna Bib

I never seem to learn. Like most of my North Face…

I never seem to learn. Like most of my North Face purchases, this one will soon be on its way out. I use these pants almost exclusively for skiing. After my first two days out with them, I came home to find the bottom of my pants were shredded on the inside. Both my skis and my boots had worn the Gore-Tex in only about 15 hours of skiing.

I was extremely disappointed, and took them back to the North Face store. The store shipped them to the manufacturer, which sewed thick Cordura around the bottom 10" of the pants. TNF did a decent job of this - the stitching was good and they even taped the seams. However, it cost another $60 to do. I think this brought the total price to about $360, which I thought was a little steep considering the problems I have had with it.

However, the pants are extremely comfortable, well-designed, and very wind-resistant. It's been probably five or six years since I bought them, and the waterproofing is still fairly good, even after many wet seasons skiing in the Northwest. Given the annoyance of the shredded pant leg, though, the next time I buy gear, I will be looking at Mountain Hardwear or Arc'teryx. I would recommend doing the same.

Excellent and hardwearing. Have used for a couple…

Fabric: 3-Ply Gore-tex
Price Paid: GBP 120

Excellent and hardwearing. Have used for a couple of years in Scotland and the Alps for wandering about the mountains, a bit of winter climbing and a spot of skiing. Protected full-length zips down both legs and a half-moon at the back that let's you answer the call of nature, without taking them off. Snow cuff at leg bottoms and small pocket on the front of the chest bib. Keeps you very toasty while you're doing whatever you enjoy best.

This has been the best pair of pants I ever owned.

Fabric: 3 layer Gore-Tex

This has been the best pair of pants I ever owned. They are great for skiing, and winter climbing. The bib has full zips down the side and a great feature that I haven't had to use yet, drop seat pants!

Any way, I would recommend these to anyone!

Stay dry in the wettest weather out in the backcountry this season with The North Face Men's Kichatna Bib Pant on. This Summit Series bib's Gore-Tex Pro Shell blocks moisture and provides a surprising amount of breathability so your legs won't get wet even if you're charging up the skin track in the backcountry. Its knit bib utilizes FlashDry technology to wick moisture quickly so you remain dry and comfortable while you push your limits on those powder-capped peaks. The North Face also added 80D reinforcements in the seat and knees for durability, and Kevlar Schoeller-Keprotec reinforcements at the instep protect the Kichatna's legs from the bite of sharp crampons or ski edges. An active fit pulls the Kichatna close to your lower body without restricting any mobility you need on the mountain. Full-length polyurethane-coated (water-resistant) zippers run along the sides to help you put on and take this pant off and to double as vents when you need to dump heat fast. You can adjust the low-profile suspenders for an ideal fit, and the low-profile waistband has a removable belt to adjust according to how many mid-layers you have on. The elasticized gaiters have a zipper for easy access to your boots.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

The men's North Face Gritstone Jacket, part of the North Face Summit Series, combats strong winds at high altitudes with a soft-shell jacket designed to provide multilayer windproofing. The Gore Windstopper exterior remains windproof without sacrificing breathability during stages of intense aerobic activity. Pit-zips allow you to instantly dump heat for immediate ventilation. A zippered pocket on the upper left arm and alpine pockets on the torso remain accessible while wearing a harness or pack. Pull the hidden hem cinch cord tighter to trap heat and seal out the elements.

- RockCreek refers to the men's version

Match the Kichatna Bib from The North Face with a softshell on top and the Kichatna jacket (238924) in your pack for serious, all-weather ski- or snowboard-mountaineering. Next generation Gore-Tex Pro Shell material breathes better than ever to keep up with your energy output. The active fit lets you move and maneuver without added weight. Breathable bib material and 2-hand pockets at the low-profile waist.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

Whether you ascend on crampons, skin your way to the top, or get after it with a combination of both, our rugged Gore-Tex Pro Shell pants protect your lower half from the elements. The tough 40D construction is waterproof and windproof with rugged 80D fabric reinforcing high-abrasion zones in the seat and knees. Wicking FlashDry knit bib and adjustable, low-profile suspenders provide a customized fit that won t need to be readjusted underneath your layering system. Zippered elastic gaiter fits you re your mountaineering boots or ski boots to seal out snow and keep your lower legs dry.

- The North Face refers to the men's version