The North Face Kichatna Bib

I never seem to learn. Like most of my North Face…

I never seem to learn. Like most of my North Face purchases, this one will soon be on its way out. I use these pants almost exclusively for skiing. After my first two days out with them, I came home to find the bottom of my pants were shredded on the inside. Both my skis and my boots had worn the Gore-Tex in only about 15 hours of skiing.

I was extremely disappointed, and took them back to the North Face store. The store shipped them to the manufacturer, which sewed thick Cordura around the bottom 10" of the pants. TNF did a decent job of this - the stitching was good and they even taped the seams. However, it cost another $60 to do. I think this brought the total price to about $360, which I thought was a little steep considering the problems I have had with it.

However, the pants are extremely comfortable, well-designed, and very wind-resistant. It's been probably five or six years since I bought them, and the waterproofing is still fairly good, even after many wet seasons skiing in the Northwest. Given the annoyance of the shredded pant leg, though, the next time I buy gear, I will be looking at Mountain Hardwear or Arc'teryx. I would recommend doing the same.

Excellent and hardwearing. Have used for a couple…

Fabric: 3-Ply Gore-tex
Price Paid: GBP 120

Excellent and hardwearing. Have used for a couple of years in Scotland and the Alps for wandering about the mountains, a bit of winter climbing and a spot of skiing. Protected full-length zips down both legs and a half-moon at the back that let's you answer the call of nature, without taking them off. Snow cuff at leg bottoms and small pocket on the front of the chest bib. Keeps you very toasty while you're doing whatever you enjoy best.

This has been the best pair of pants I ever owned.

Fabric: 3 layer Gore-Tex

This has been the best pair of pants I ever owned. They are great for skiing, and winter climbing. The bib has full zips down the side and a great feature that I haven't had to use yet, drop seat pants!

Any way, I would recommend these to anyone!

If you've owned or used The North Face Men's Kichatna Bib, please share your experience.