The North Face Megamouth

Cool pack with a lot of room for a lite pack. Carries…

Cool pack with a lot of room for a lite pack. Carries 3 liters of water which is a must for me.

My biggest complaint with this pack is the frame structure (2 bars that cross like an X under a layer of vented material that allows air to circulate between the pack and your back (good concept)) came apart from the lower corner of the pack and pushes into my back causing a rub injury every time I wear it long distance.

I love my Megamouth! The hydration pack is huge enough…

Size: 18L
Number of Pockets: 3 + 1 for Nalgene Bladder
Max. Load Carried: 10kg (22 pounds)
Height of Owner: 177cm (5'10")
Price Paid: 125 CAN$

I love my Megamouth! The hydration pack is huge enough for one or two day trip 3L! There is plenty of space for a day trip 18L ! And this bag is very comfortable.

The perforated foam back panel will keep you cool and dry, as will the Airmesh shoulder harness. It fit my back perfectly (I'm 5'10")

There is also a lot of little compartment and pocket for many uses.

There is reflective lines on it to be visible when low-light conditions.

There is a nice little whistle on the sternum strap... And it works pretty well.

The compartment of the Nalgene bladder is isolated but not the tube. For winter it's not very nice when the tube is frozen. I bought an isolation tube for it last year and it's now better. (At 125 CAN$ they should give it with the bag! That's why I gave 4.5 instead of 5 stars.)

I'm rating this primarily on the hydration system,…

Design: backpack
Price Paid: $75 (on sale)

I'm rating this primarily on the hydration system, as a backpack it seems to work fine, but then $100 is way too much for a simple daypack.

Honestly I had high hopes for the hydration system as it's made by Nalgene, but I've been extremely dissapointed instead. The features are excelent (quick connect hose for ease in removing the pack to refill, and a magnetic attachment for the end of the hose so it doesn't flop around), which is why I bought it.

However, the durability is terrible. The bite valve has a silicone sheath which is bitten to release water flow which wore through after only about two weeks (5 or 6 outings) using the pack, and now leaks whenever the flow valve is not locked. In addition, now (after a month and a half) the main screw cap closure where the bladder is filled has begun to leak, which would obviously drench anything inside the pack.

Bottom line, I would not recommend this pack to anyone.

The North Face Megamouth

The Megamouth has been discontinued.

The North Face Megamouth is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 31, 2010 at SunnySports.

If you're looking for a new hydration pack, check out the best reviewed current models.