The North Face Moraine 23

This tent is easy to set up and comfortable for two…

Price Paid: 200 Euro

Summary

This tent is easy to set up and comfortable for two persons. It has a small awning which can be a hassle in rainy conditions.

Pros

• Good quality material
  • Spacious enough for 2 persons
  • Easy and fast to set up
  • Stable in heavy weather

Cons

• Not very light
  • Small awning

This tent has given me near perfect shelter on my yearly trekking holidays. I've had snow in Norway, rain in Italy, and storm in France and everytime it stood its ground like a house.

The floor has a 10 cm upstanding edge which prevents water from coming in from below. Although it isn't particularly light it is very carryable if carried by two.

A downside is the small awning which can be problematic in rainy conditions. It's hard to get undressed inside it.

It has been in use since 2007 and i never had any problems. Great tent!

(preface: English is not my native language) The North…

Design: Three-season freestanding dome
Ease of Setup: It needs some exercise, but once you've got the trick it is easy and fast.
Weight: +/-3.0 kg
Price Paid: 250 euro

(preface: English is not my native language)

The North Face Moraine 23 is a great tent for 2 persons. I bought this tent in 2007. It was at that time not meant for longer hikings: I just bought it because it was affordable and I went camping in France. Later on (due to financial reasons) we used this tent on the GR20 trail (Corsica) September 2008, and we did not regret it.

Tent type/Set up:
The North Face Moraine 23 is a free standing tent type. My husband and I used this tent on the GR20 trail in Corsica in September 2008. The soil is very rocky, and it was easy to ‘pitch’ the tent with stones. It stood like a house.

The tent has 3 aluminium poles. The inner tent needs to be set up first, followed by an easy system to attach the flysheet to it. It takes a little-little bit of exercise to set the tent up because of its special design, but after a while you can manage in about 5 minutes, which was pro because the GR20 has some challenging ‘étappes’.

Space:
There was space enough to get my husband (6.06 feet tall) and I in the tent with all the equipment we both use (that means backpack, boots, cooking material,…etc). The vestibule is rather small. That is one of the negative aspects.

Rain:
One night there was a raging storm with lots of rain. The inner tent stayed completely dry.
(See also at 1min24sec and 1min44sec: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyRft_zz7gs&feature=channel_page )

Frost:
Another night we dealt with frost. The condensation on the inner side of the flysheet was frozen. That night didn’t give a very refreshing sleep, and it was clear that the tent is indeed a 3-season tent. Don’t understand me wrong: it gave sufficient shelter, but in combination with a sleeping bag of +/- 0 degree (Celsius) comfort and a bad sleeping mat it can ruin your night. My husband who has a highly protecting sleeping bag and good mat had no complaints about this.

Pro’s:
Very nice 3-season shelter
Roomy for 2 persons
Free standing tent
Good mosquitonet
Not too expensive

Contra’s:
Quiet heavy for longer hikes.
Not very compact due to f.i. the 3 poles.
Almost no vestibule.

I love this tent! It pitches much quicker and easier…

Design: three season whatever
Ease of Setup: waaaaaay easy. i set it up by myself in less than 5 minutes
Weight: just a few pounds... (?)

I love this tent! It pitches much quicker and easier than my friends' Wal-mart tents, and stayed totally dry, even as the wind literally caved in all the others. Aerodynamic design keeps the wind from being a factor, and the rain fly that goes all the way to the ground keeps rain water from splashing up onto the tent material.

I was smug and dry and felt secretly superior (well not so secret, actually) to all the suckers and their $20 tents! tee hee

The only downside is that my wife says that it's too small to fit us together and our gear (I think she's crazy, but I usually only camp by myself).

On Sale. Free Shipping. The North Face Moraine 23 Tent (Fall 2008 Discontinued) The Moraine 23 Tent by the North Face is a roomy two-person, three-season dome tent with a generously-sized vestibule.Specifications: [Capacity] 2 [Weight] trail: 6 lbs 7 oz (2.92 kg) total: 7 lbs 4 oz (3.28 kg) [Poles] number: 3 diameter: 8.0 mm [Stuffed Size] 22in. x 7in. (55 cm x 18 cm) [Fabric] canopy: 70 denier, 190T nylon taffeta; fly: 75 denier, 185T polyester ripstop coated with 1500 mm PU; floor: 70 denier, 210T nylon taffeta coated with 5000 mm PU [Area] 36 ft2 (3.3 m2) [Vestibule Area] 16 ft2 (1.5 m2)Features: DAC Press-fit aluminum poles Fusion pitch True bucket floor Free-standing design with front vestibule Color-coded canopy and flysheet webbing Clipped poles and large mesh panels provide ample air circulation between canopy and fly D-shaped door Fly-only pitching Internal pockets and hang loops Compatible with The North Face #2 Gear Loft Stuffsack includedThis product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Enjoy the mountain air inside The North Face Moraine 23 Tent. This spacious two-person, three-season tent's lightweight and airy design ensure superior air circulation smell the cool air, not your companion's stinky socks. Slip the DAC aluminum poles through the continues sleeves and secure the flysheet with the color-coded webbing and your Moraine 23 is ready for mountain breathing. Your nose stays happy as you lie under the canopy's mesh panels your buddy's boots are at a safe distance under the large front vestibule. You can couple the Moraine 23 with its footprint (sold separately) for olfactory-friendly fly-only pitching and with The North Face #2 Gear Loft (sold separately) for extra breathing room.

- Backcountry Outlet

The Moraine 23 is a spacious two-person tent with excellent ventilation.

- Altrec Outdoors

The Moraine 23 Tent by The North Face is a spacious two-person tent with excellent ventilation. This is the ideal tent for base camp. If you are headed out for a backpacking or a car camping trip, then don't forget your The North Face Moraine 23 Tent.

- RockCreek

- ClimbingGear

The North Face Moraine 23

The Moraine 23 has been discontinued.

The North Face Moraine 23 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 18, 2009 at Moosejaw.