The North Face Mountain 35

This three-man, four-season mountaineering tent boasts a solid geodesic design that stands up to tearing winds, blinding snow, and the cruel conditions at altitude. The sturdy 40-denier nylon ripstop canopy is supported by a sturdy frame of five break-resistant DAC Featherlite NSL poles. The “lift technology” pole-and-hub system connects to the rainfly to lift and create a space that adds stability to the structure. A topside mesh vent sends spindrift melt-off to the rainfly. The 75-denier polyester ripstop fly has a wind-resistant and waterproof 1,500 mm polyurethane coating. The fully seam taped, 70-denier nylon bucket floor has a 10,000 mm polyurethane coating to create a protective barrier from the frozen tundra below. Reflective, super-strong Kevlar guylines provide plenty of support in wind-whipped terrain.

Features:

• Dual doors with poled front vestibule
  • No-stretch, reflective Kevlar guylines with camming adjuster
  • Polyurethane port window, cold-crack tested to -60°F
  • High-low vent doors
  • Glow-in-the-dark zip pulls
  • Compatible with square gear loft
  • Color-coded DAC Featherlite NSL poles, stakes with pull cord

Floor Area 43.3 sq ft / 4.2 sq m
Vestibules 2
Vestibule Area 15.2 sq ft / 1.4 sq m
Peak Height 44 in / 112 cm

This is a discontinued 3-person, 4-season tent. I…

Summary

This is a discontinued 3-person, 4-season tent. I am not sure why it's been discontinued!! It is an amazing tent—large enough and easy enough to set up. I know the VE-25 and others are good as well, but this one is amazing!

Pros

• Bombproof—solid in the storms
  • Once learned to set up—easy
  • Roomy, but not a large footprint. Good use of space
  • Warm
  • LOTS of gear space tucked into wall and ceiling, no need for gear lofts

Cons

• Vestibule a little small, hard for this old man to get in and out of
  • Heavy, but worth the weight.

I own a village of tents! Over 10... it seems as though it's my little obsession. But with over four 4-season tents, the Mountain 35 is by far my go-to winter camping or rough weather tent. If I am going to be stuck in a tent for days I want it to be my Mtn 35.

Roomy. Very Stable. Very dry, with good ventilation and little or no condensation on the walls. It's a perfect tent for a long trip except for one thing—WEIGHT. It's heavy. No denying it, but that's probably what adds to its stable feel and performance.

If you find this tent—BUY IT!! I am sad to hear that they don't offer it, happy I have picked one up before it was unavailable.

I bought it to pack around Vancouver. Have taken it all over though from winter trips in the Smokies, to winter backcountry trips in Yosemite, summer rainy trips in Olympic National Park, and snowy high country in Rocky Mtn National Park, Zion backcountry in fall and more.  So it's seen its fair share of use and barely shows signs of wear.

LOVE IT!

Welcome to Trailspace, Scott! Thanks for sharing your first reviews with us. It sounds like your Mountain 35 has been well traveled and used. I'd love to see some pictures of it in your review.

Scott Gleason

Thanks Alicia- I will upload some shortly- Really nice site! I just found it yesterday and already I cant keep away.. Well done.

1 year ago

Thanks, Scott! I'm glad you found your way to Trailspace. I personally love to see pictures and read reviews of older gear that's still in use, like your tent.

The North Face Mountain 35

The North Face Mountain 35 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 16, 2016 at REI.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Sheila, Winner of a Year's Worth of Nikwax