The North Face Pivotal 60

I've used this pack now for about 18 months and trekked…

Design: top and side loading internal frame pack
Size: Large - (60 liters?)
Max. Load Carried: 55 lbs
Height of Owner: 6 ft, 172 lbs

I've used this pack now for about 18 months and trekked over 200 miles. It's been loaded up to about 55 pounds. The pivotal design is ingenious and definitely kept me from falling on several occasions when I lost my footing on rocky terrain in the Sierra. I am certain that I would have fallen with a rigid (non-pivoting) pack.

It's got plenty of room, handy pockets on the sides with good weatherizing flaps over the zippers. I like that the entire top piece detaches and can be used as a fanny pack for short hikes or fishing jaunts. The pack can be loaded from the top or the side. The pivot design is adjustable for several inches, if necessary.

It has large pouches at the bottom to hold extra water bottles, thermarest foldable chair, fishing pole, etc. There are many adjusting straps at the top and on the hip belt to get just the right fit. Also has internal pouch for holding a water blatter with an eyelet for the piping.

Only downside is that there is a rather flimsy false floor separating the main pack compartment from the bottom where I store my sleeping back. One of the 4 corner holder ripped. It has a lifetime warranty from TNF but I can make do and rather not hassle with a return. All in all, an outstanding pack which I would highly recommend.

I love this pack! It's comfortable, flexible, and…

Height of Owner: 5'3"

I love this pack! It's comfortable, flexible, and so adjustable that I was able to make it a perfect fit. The only downside is that the black padding on the back rubbed off on my shirt after sweating.

Working with your body's own independent suspension, the large capacity Pivotal 60 Pack from The North Face is the first pack to truly address the dynamic relationship between a pack and its user. The essential component in this design is the Load Equalizer, a device that actually pivots the load in each direction you move enabling the load transfer to equalize - regardless of the natural pelvic adjustments that your body makes to create balance during movement.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

The North Face Pivotal 60 Backpack is a mid-capacity pack that breaks the traditional mold of multi-day backpack design. Featuring a revolutionary suspension system that actually pivots with the natural movement of your lower back and hips, the Pivotal 60 ushers in a new era of backpacking comfort and performance. Simply flip the pack over and the back panel reveals The North Face's feat of engineering known as the Pivotal Suspension System. The Load Equalizer allows the pack to flex side-to-side with the natural movement of your hip and back. You get superb balance from the evenly distributed weight on your hips, regardless of body position. Climbing over fallen logs, scrambling up rock faces, and leap-frogging your lagging trail companions will all be worlds easier with the Pivotal 60. Getting this system custom fitted is a snap as well-this pack has a fully adjustable torso length and an interchangeable hip belt to fit bodies of all sizes. Of course, the Pivotal 60 includes a host of high-end backpack features: a side-accessed sleeping bag compartment, a removable lid that converts to a lumbar pack, an expanding side pocket, double Hypalon daisy chains, adjustable load lifters, D-zip side panel access, side water bottle pockets, and an Airmesh back panel for awesome breathability.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

The North Face Pivotal 60

The Pivotal 60 has been discontinued.

The North Face Pivotal 60 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.