The North Face Plan B TriClimate Jacket

I'm from northern Indiana and deal with a lot of cruddy…

I'm from northern Indiana and deal with a lot of cruddy weather. November, December, and March mean big cold fronts with near freezing rain and driving wind every week or two (ironic that its Nov 4 and 75 degrees today). January and February are brutal here with temperatures typically ranging in the mid 20's to 10 below freezing some nights, and oh so much wind (any of my fellow Purdue students will tell you how windy our campus is).

Anyways, to the point...I give this jacket only 4/5 stars simply because I haven't tested it out yet. It definitely feels heavy enough, and it is certainly warm, but I have been deceived before by weight judgment (dang you Merrell apparel!).

Fit-wise, the jacket is amazing. I am a lanky 6'2", 165 pounds and I always have trouble finding something with a good sleeve/waist length. I bought a large and the fit seems excellent, though perhaps a bit roomy inside. It comes down plenty low, and the sleeves are more than long enough for me. The hood also seems plenty big, perhaps even too big, and it slides up and over the head easily and stays where you leave it.

Furthermore, the jacket comes up high on the collar, enough to cover all of your neck, which I appreciate but am not used to (it will grow on me I'm sure). It also has a few features I don't really need, such as a goggle wipe and goggle storage pocket, but more power to the people who will use them.

Overall the jacket is very spacious (enough to layer underneath) but not exceptionally big, puffy, or heavy. This Triclimate model (like most) also has the nice feature of the zip out lining, which can be replaced by many other coats (I picked up a Khumbu fleece from North Face dirt cheap too, and it zips right in).

My only real complaint is the lack of insulation in the pockets. I always forget/lose my gloves in the winter and like to bury my hands in the pockets, which may be lacking in this coat.

Overall, I have to admit that I'm extremely impressed by the fit and feel of this coat. Most other winter coats will either be extra heavy or extra puffy to retain heat, but this one has a nice mix of the two. I will post again later in winter once I've fully tested this beast of a jacket to its full potential, and let any readers know whether or not I believe the jacket is worth the actual $279 price tag, as well as any problems/hidden features I am missing right now.

When you're off to the mountain, but have no idea what the weather will bring, be prepared with 3-in-1 waterproof Plan B Triclimate Jacket from The North Face. If the weather proves mild, stick with the HyVent outer shell that sheds precip and is super-breathable for intense aerobic activity, and if it gets cold, zip in the interior, Heatseeker-insulated inner jacket, just in case Plan A doesn't work out.

- Mountain Gear

Because you should always have a backup plan in case things go awry, we created the Plan B Jacket for snowboarders and skiers. Extremely versatile and functional, this jacket offers a waterproof shell with stylized color blocking on the shoulders, a slick mesh lining, and Triclimate insulation; keeping alpine enthusiasts warm and dry for all-mountain riding.

- Altrec Outdoors

Your plan B tends to be of the "Ahhh uuummm ... let's see " variety. No worries-The North Face Men's 3-in-1 Plan B Triclimate Jacket has you covered during weather changes on the slopes. This three-in-one jacket has waterproof breathable HyVent fabric and fully taped seams for the wettest winter storms, plus synthetic insulation in the zip-out liner for cold chairlift rides. Holy mother of cow, the Colorado weather changed from snowing to sunny in five minutes (yup, just like they always say it does). Zip out the insulated jacket liner and just wear the shell with the powder skirt and adjustable hood. When you're done for the day, wear the cozy liner jacket around town.

- Backcountry Outlet

Free Shipping. The North Face Men's Plan B Triclimate Jacket (Fall 2008 Discontinued) The Plan B Triclimate Jacket by The North Face features versatility and functionality in a three-in-one fully featured jacket with a waterproof, breathable exterior and zip-out Heatseeker liner.Features:Fully seam sealedAdjustable EZD-tach hood Napoleon pocket Handwarmer zip pocketsWrist accessory pocket with goggle clothInternal media security pocketInternal goggle pocketPowder skirt with elastic gripperPant-a-locksAdjustable-hem systemHook and loop adjustable cuffsBuddy lift clipTriclimate Features:Zip-in compatibleZip hand pocketsInternal security pocketAdjustable-hem systemSpecifications:Body: Shell-HyVent 2L foxfailleTriclimate-Mini diamond ripstopLining: Shell-Slick meshTriclimate-Heli-embossed taffetaInsulation: Triclimate-Heatseeker 100 gThis product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

The North Face Plan B TriClimate Jacket

The Plan B TriClimate Jacket has been discontinued.

The North Face Plan B TriClimate Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new component (3-in-1) jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.