The North Face Prophet 45

I have the older version of the Prophet 45 and use…

Design: Top-loading Internal
Size: 45L+
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 30#
Height of Owner: 5'8"

I have the older version of the Prophet 45 and use it for multiday backpacking. I bought it because it's light for the size and it is expandable.

The pack has one large compartment and is top loading. I've used it for a 3-day, 2 night trip to Channel Islands NP and it worked well.

The weight is close which is nice and there are plenty of straps to adjust the fit to your body. Being able to expand by 20L is also a plus in case I wanted to go on extended trips.

My gripes with the pack are few:

On the older design, there are no compression straps like there are on the latest version. That made strapping my MSR Dromedary bladder a pain but I fixed that with some rope, a couple of butterfly knots, and few carabiners.

There are not enough (any) external pockets. This is probably by design since it's an alpine pack rather than a back country backpacking pack but a couple of pockets on the hip belt wouldn't hurt.

The water bladder isn't externally accessible. To refill, I had to partially unpack.

Best for weekend outing. Very comfortable to use.

Design: top loading Internal X frame
Size: 45 liters
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 45 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'5

Best for weekend outing. Very comfortable to use. It only lacks back ventilation when used in tropical countries. The fabric used in this pack is tough but the coating easily strips off. The lack of pockets of this pack can be compensated by using mini carabiners because it has a lot of carabs attachments.

The North Face Prophet 45

The Prophet 45 has been discontinued.

The North Face Prophet 45 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 30, 2013 at EMS.