I found the last year 09 shoes on sale 50% after buying…

Materials: soft shell, Hedgehog sole
Use: Life in the summer when sandals dont work
Break-in Period: soak em and wear them dry. 1/2 day.
Weight: dunno mens. womans was 1 oz lighter than Hedgehog...1lb 8 oz 7s
Price Paid: 69$CDN

I found the last year 09 shoes on sale 50% after buying some Nike Alvord 7 trail shoes that were also on sale. I couldn't resist. I have been using both over the last month for comparison, work and hike.

These Purgatories have the same chassis as the Hedgehogs, But they are of a shoft shell 3 layer material...

I like them. They keep my feet significantly cooler than any of my goretex lined shoes, and they are lighter.

I like my shoes/ boots for gardening (shovel work, wearing with REI desert gaiters) as well as hiking, Well, these TNF Purgatories certainly have a tough sole where the spade is struck. I killed a pair of 5 10 Ascents with a shovel coupla years ago (lol).

So, though I worry about the durability of the upper on the Purgatory, I have full confidence in the Vibram soles. They are comfortable, and mildly waterproof. Superb for the summer. Watch you don't catch a sole spine and trip.