The North Face Redpoint Optimus Jacket

A great lightweight jacket. Jacket has a great fit,…

Fabric: nylon
Fill: Primaloft

A great lightweight jacket.

Jacket has a great fit, arms, body, and hood. Can do some layering under it. Slim so you do not look like the Staypuff marshmallowman. It has the best hood I have ever used in a jacket. It moves with you, and it really makes a difference. Pull the hood up and this jacket really give you a little extra.

It is really a lightweight coat as far as temps go. I have layered up and done hikes in -25 weather but when you stop you will cool down pretty quick. A decent jacket for standing around to about 30 degrees. Great for hiking in at 20 degrees in and colder temps.

For winters in Texas, all you need.

As a photographer I really like how big the hand pockets are. I can put a Fuji Quickload holder in them!

Biggest downfall on my few years old version is no fleece in pockets.

A worthy entry for a lightweight winter coat. For really cold temps I go for something warmer.

Don't listen to that other review. He's talking about…

Fabric: Nylon w/ DWR coating. Shoulders and hood have hyvent coating for light waterproofing.
Fill: primaloft one

Don't listen to that other review. He's talking about the old. I just purchased the 2007, and I am very impressed.

The jacket is extremely lightweight and somewhat thin, yet will insulate far beyond expectations. Last night I went for a walk in about -5 F temps and I was perfectly warm.

The jacket is also extremely comfortable. I fell asleep the other night wearing it. I was inside and it was about 70 degrees in my house, but I didn't wake up sweating. I don't understand why this jacket is so amazing. I purchased it as a midlayer, but it is far more than that.

The 2003 ($99) model of the Redpoint Optimus Jacket…

Fill: permaloft

The 2003 ($99) model of the Redpoint Optimus Jacket is a very good jacket with its included features. Removable sleeves, sleeve pocket, hood cinch, and perm-aloft insulation. The 2005 version of the same jacket is ($199) and has less features than the 2003 model. The 2005 version is without the above 2003 features listed above at twice the cost. The only features that are better on the 2005 model are that the perm-aloft feels like down, and the "kiss" of hyvent to protect the wearer from water absorption. If I have a choice I would choose the 2003 version of this jacket.

Primaloft works great, DWR coating repels water and…

Fabric: Nylon DWR treated
Fill: PrimaLoft

Primaloft works great, DWR coating repels water and snow pretty well. very lightweight, dries fast, surprisingly warm as mentioned in other review. a little pricey for what your getting but most North Face stuff is, but it's got a great warranty. the insulated hood is helmet compatible.

If you've owned or used The North Face Men's Redpoint Optimus Jacket, please share your experience.

The North Face Men's Redpoint Optimus Jacket

The Men's Redpoint Optimus Jacket has been discontinued. It last appeared in The North Face's 2011 product line.

The North Face Men's Redpoint Optimus Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 22, 2014 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new synthetic insulated jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

Weight 26.10 oz / 740 g