The North Face Snowsquall Tall

Very comfortable, waterproof, and warm as toast! My…

Very comfortable, waterproof, and warm as toast!

• Waterproof
  • Great fit
  • Good cushioning
  • Awesome looks

• Hooks for laces are sharp...

My old Danner boots were still OK, but it was getting to be a ritual waterproofing them all the time. They were warm, but the warmth came from just the socks. I ride bike all winter here in ND and needed a warm boot, but wanted more than just warmth. So it was time to upgrade and so the search was on.

My criteria was:

• had to fit good. I usually use a size twelve and found that it runs a little small so I got the 12.5.  It is really hard to find a company that does half sizes above size 12 and I usually end up with either too tight or too loose.  And they not only fit but they are insanely comfortable and you could walk a long ways in these.  Not a hard heel, but great cushioning and I amazed at how they are for walking on hard surfaces.
  • had to be waterproof. These things will be great in that respect as there is a lot of rubber built into them and they also have a HydroSeal membrane.  No snow will get these wet.
  • had to be warm. This boot is rated for minus forty degrees and I believe that it will be.  I have already had it in 6 degree weather, and it was almost too warm.
  • needed to as light as possible.  These are really lightweight, at least compared to what I have had.  The 12.5 size comes in at 666 grams.  Not bad for a pair of boats.

I like the looks of these, and find that they are very supportive. I had foot surgery and my right ankle is still very swollen, but I can still get into these just fine.

One neat feature is a ring that holds your gators in place. You don't need to layer socks with these as they work without that, and so the fit is more consistent. I could not wear thicker socks with my Danners or they would be too tight. The hooks for the laces are sharp and I may cut through a few laces, but I plan on getting leather laces anyway.

Great boot!

The North Face Snowsquall Tall

The North Face Snowsquall Tall is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 30, 2014 at The North Face.

If you're looking for a new winter boot, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review

MSR Evo Ascent Review

Gregory Baltoro 65 Review

The A.T. Guide (2016 Northbound) Review

Weegie Weekenders

Trailspace in the morning...and a new hat idea?