The North Face Snowsquall Tall
Very comfortable, waterproof, and warm as toast! My…
Source: bought it new
Price Paid: $140
Very comfortable, waterproof, and warm as toast!
- Great fit
- Good cushioning
- Awesome looks
- Hooks for laces are sharp...
My old Danner boots were still OK, but it was getting to be a ritual waterproofing them all the time. They were warm, but the warmth came from just the socks. I ride bike all winter here in ND and needed a warm boot, but wanted more than just warmth. So it was time to upgrade and so the search was on.
My criteria was:
- One....it had to fit good. I usually use a size twelve and found that it runs a little small so I got the 12.5. It is really hard to find a company that does half sizes above size 12 and I usually end up with either too tight or too loose. And they not only fit but they are insanely comfortable and you could walk a long ways in these. Not a hard heel, but great cushioning and I amazed at how they are for walking on hard surfaces.
- Two...it had to be waterproof. These things will be great in that respect as there is a lot of rubber built into them and they also have a HydroSeal membrane. No snow will get these wet.
- Three...it had to be warm. This boot is rated for minus forty degrees and I believe that it will be. I have already had it in 6 degree weather, and it was almost too warm.
- Four...it needed to as light as possible. These are really lightweight, at least compared to what I have had. The 12.5 size comes in at 666 grams. Not bad for a pair of boats.
I like the looks of these, and find that they are very supportive. I had foot surgery and my right ankle is still very swollen, but I can still get into these just fine.
One neat feature is a ring that holds your gators in place. You don't need to layer socks with these as they work without that, and so the fit is more consistent. I could not wear thicker socks with my Danners or they would be too tight. The hooks for the laces are sharp and I may cut through a few laces, but I plan on getting leather laces anyway.
Here's what other sites are saying:
A new sturdy, waterproof winter boot built with zonal insulation, Cradle technology, and a TNF Winter Grip outsole to provide lightweight protection, stability, and traction in the worst conditions. Zonal insulation provides warmth where it's needed most (in the toes, instep and underfoot), and slightly less on the sides of the foot where there is less heat loss. EVA half shell design at the toe significantly reduces the weight of the boot and promotes walking ability without compromising warmth or protection. Tall silhouette rests about a hands length above your ankle.
- The North Face refers to the men's version
Whether you're walking the woods in winter or just trying to get to work during a Chicago blizzard, The North Face Snowsquall Tall Boot surrounds your foot in warmth while its rugged traction helps you keep your footing. Waterproof HydroSeal membrane seals out moisture while letting your foot breathe, and PrimaLoft Eco insulation teams up with mylar insets in the tongue and footbed to keep heat right where you need it. An uber-tough TNF Winter Grip sole with temperature-sensitive Ice Pick lugs keeps you upright and steady when you're treading on icy surfaces so you won't nose dive into a snowbank or oncoming traffic. Comfort, bordering on luxury, is a given thanks a cush Northotic Pro footbed with Poron ReSource pads under your heel and forefoot--think of it as an ergonomic mattress for your foot. The EVA half shell extends over your forefoot to protect your toes without adding weight or reducing flexibility. Durable water-resistant nubuck and ballistic mesh can stand up to serious abuse so you can count on these boots for many winters to come.
- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version
A sturdy, waterproof winter boot built with zonal insulation, CRADLE(TM) technology and a TNF Winter Grip(R) outsole to provide lightweight protection, stability and traction in the worst conditions. UPPER/ Waterproof, BLC-compliant nubuck and ballistic mesh upper. Protective PU-coated leather midfoot mudguard HydroSeal(R) waterproof membrane. Zonal insulation package employs 400 g PrimaLoft(R) Eco insulation throughout the boot and Mylar heat-trapping zones in the tongue and underfoot. Lightweight, protective, compression-molded EVA half shell reduces weight and promotes walkability. Northotic(TM) Pro upgraded EVA footbed with PORON(R) ReSource heel and forefoot-cushioning pads and ESS CRADLE(TM) support and cushioning system BOTTOM/ TPU and EVA CRADLE(TM) heel-stability and cushioning technology. Lightweight, compression-molded EVA midsole. Durable TNF Winter Grip(R) rubber outsole. IcePick(R) temperature-sensitive lugs for increased winter traction. pair: 2 lb 12 oz (1268 g). 1/2 pair: 1 lb 6 oz (634 g). *based on Men's 9. Comfort Range: -40degF (-40degC).
- Rocky Mountain Trail refers to the men's version
CLOSEOUTS . For the really deep, cold stuff, The North Face's Snowsquall Tall winter boots employ HydroSealand#174; waterproofing and 400g PrimaLoftand#174; Eco insulation throughout, backed by mylar heat-trapping zones for extra warmth in critical zones. Available Colors: TNF BLACK/LEOPARD YELLOW. Sizes: 10, 11.
- Sierra Trading Post refers to the men's version