The North Face Solar Flare

Foot Circumference 43 in / 109 cm 43 in / 109 cm
Stuffsack Size 11 in x 21 in / 28 cm x 53 cm 11 in x 21 in / 28 cm x 53 cm
Fabric Shadowlite™ HyVent™ Shadowlite™ HyVent™
Price $499 USD $519.00 USD

This is the best bag I've ever used. The dryloft is…

Fill: 800+ fill down
Temperature Rating: -20 F
Weight: 4 +

This is the best bag I've ever used. The dryloft is great - the first time I used it I forgot to close my water bottle, the bottom of the sleeping bag froze to the tent and yet the insulation didn't get wet. I woke up warm and cozy!!!

Well, I finally did it, after years of lugging 15lb.

Fill: 800 fill down
Temperature Rating: -20f
Weight: 4lb. 5 oz
Price Paid: $585, gulp!

Well, I finally did it, after years of lugging 15lb. quarter keg sized synthetic sub-zero bags on my winter treks, i dropped the big bucks and got a -20 deg down bag and all I can say is; "I should have done it years ago! What a difference, not only in the size and weight of my pack, but in how much more comfortable I was on some REALLY #%&*! cold nights.

While the Solar Flare isn't anywhere near as roomy as my three season bag (an SD, Sandman) there's plenty of room (I don't tend to sprawl as much at -10 as I do at 20 or above) and PLENTY of warmth! TNF's Chevron design with side baffles and ground level zipper really keep the heat in. Also, the "anti-snag" tape along the zipper really does work. It makes those "last minute, stay in the sack, damn it's gonna be cold out there" dashes in the morning alot less stressful when you know that zipper is going to slide right down without a hitch, believe you me.

So if you're thinking about taking the plunge into a down-filled winter bag and you're considering the Solar Flare, do it, you won't regret it.

An excellent shape, maximising warmth. With offset…

Fill: 700 fill down
Temperature Rating: -26 C

An excellent shape, maximising warmth. With offset chevron channels, a neck baffle, and a construction to maximize the loft of the down it should easily match the claimed rating. I used its lighter and older cousin the Superlight ( a slighlty superior version of the current Superlight ) in temperatures down about -25C and survived. The Solar Flare has much more loft and would have kept me very snug and happy. The DryLoft outer is nice to the touch with a crisp feel that doesn't cling, it also repels moisture that sometimes accumulates in the bottom of tents.

I am six foot and sometimes feel a little claustraphobic, it is only just adequate for me.

For very cold excursions I think its excellent, I just need another bag for the summer.

Visit The North Face's Solar Flare page.

Proven and dependable, the North Face Solar Flare sleeping bag keeps you warm in subzero conditions with 800+ fill down.

- EMS

Extremely cold weather calls for an event of warmth like the Solar Flare -20 Down Sleeping Bag from The North Face. Premium 800-fill Eastern European goose down is the ultimate in warmth and compressibility while body-mapped anti-compression pads of Climashield Prism prevents compression at the coldest areas of your body. Designed for truly cold conditions, the Solar Flare will keep you toasty on almost any expedition.

- Mountain Gear

Warm in temperatures down to -20 F, this superior expedition bag is trusted on high-altitude excursions where survival may be dependent upon your choice of equipment. Constructed with 800+ fill goose down, this thermal sleeping bag keeps you thawed in sub-zero conditions.

- The North Face

The North Face Solar Flare Sleeping Bag goes above and beyond the average down sack to help you stay warm in ridiculously cold and wet conditions. A Shadowlite HyVent shell keeps moisture from soaking the 800+ fill down insulation, and baffled construction eliminates cold spots. The North Face added anti-compression pads to the underside to keep the insulation from getting squished and becoming useless when you need it the most.

The North Face Solar Flare

The Solar Flare has been discontinued. It last appeared in The North Face's 2011 product line.

The North Face Solar Flare is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 20, 2013 at EMS.

If you're looking for a new cold weather down sleeping bag, check out the best reviewed current models.