The North Face Spire 38

Durable, no frills backpack. This is a good pack for…

Summary

Durable, no frills backpack.

Pros

• Simple design
  • Very cheap

Cons

• Uncomfortable
  • Only top access

This is a good pack for anyone wanting to get a pack that they are going to use once or twice and never use again.  It is a durable pack, but it is not at all user friendly in design.

The top opening is the only access into the main compartment.  The main compartment has an internal frame work that doubles as a immobilization type splint and has an aluminum bar that also can be used as a splint. That is the best feature this pack has to offer.

It is very uncomfortable for anything over about 15 pounds when compared to most modern packs. The foam that is positioned between the shoulder straps is very hot.  The pack tends to roll from side to side on the back unless it is packed very loosely.

The hip belt is pretty good and transfers weight to the hips well, but constantly seems to need adjustment.  The shoulder straps are not very comfortable.

The top lid has a second compartment that is nice size and has a mesh pocket in which you can secure small items that you don't want to loose or misplace.  There are a lot of far better bags out there and suggest that anyone committing to dayhiking and select overnight trips do themselves a solid and find something more comfortable.

I have had this backpack for about three years now.

Design: Top loading
Number of Pockets: 2 compartments (Main and lid)
Max. Load Carried: 25lbs
Height of Owner: 6'1"

I have had this backpack for about three years now. I have used it for 10-15 overnight trips in southeast Alaska and northern California as well as a couple days skiing.

The Good:
I love this backpack. It was a steal at $50...So for hiking the side straps are useful for attaching a two person tent. The heaviest I have ever packed this is about 25lbs and it was super comfortable. For skiing you can attach skis in an A frame and they are reasonably stable, not sure if it was meant for this, but it does just fine. I use this as a carry on when I go home from school, but I wouldn't use this as a daily school back... might as well get the Recon from TNF.

The Bad:
If you put too much in the top cover and the main compartment is only half full, then the top lid has a tenancy to come loose. Other than that I have had no problems with this bag.

Overall a great backpack. Anything longer than two nights out I take something a little bigger than 38.

Love this pack. Very versatile. Especially like it…

Height of Owner: 5'11"

Love this pack. Very versatile. Especially like it for alpine ice climbing - the gear loops come in handy, it carries axes well, helmet fits nicely under the top lid, straps down a rope very nicely, enough room for the puffy and other winter essentials.

Really wish they made one for carrying snowboards - would carry skis quite nicely. Great cragging pack as well - carries my whole rack, rope, helmet and food.

As one reviewer noted, the grommets for the cord that cinches the top of the pack did tear from the fabric very shortly after I bought it. But frankly, it really hasn't affected the pack at all. Minor issue for me.

Hi, I am Vicente A. Montero of Philippines, who bought…

Size: 38
Number of Pockets: 5 in all indicated for the camel back
Max. Load Carried: 12 kilograms
Height of Owner: 5'7
Price Paid: 7,300 pesos

Hi, I am Vicente A. Montero of Philippines, who bought the Spire 38 product TNF. Being backpacking community here in Philippines I have some comments with this product. I'm am sorry to tell this because this stuff has already broken the two eye lit on the headpack. I use the warranty of this product but they disappoint me with their service. They nothing to do or they not make a way to fix the broken part. I am sad with this, but I love The North Face product.

This Vicente Montero and this is my Contact Info. 2-c Pingkian 1, Pasong Tamo, Tandang sora Quezon City, Philippines and my Mobilephone is +639198147884. Thank you! www.g2-mountaineers.co.nr

If you've owned or used The North Face Spire 38, please share your experience.

The North Face Spire 38

The Spire 38 has been discontinued.

The North Face Spire 38 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen July 18, 2008 at Altrec Outdoors.