The North Face Surgent Full Zip Hoodie

Fabric 210 g / sq m (6.2 oz / sq yd) 100% Polyester Jersey Face fleece, UPF 50, Sanitized® Silver Anti-Odor Treatment

Thin insulation at its finest. When I spend my own…

Summary

Thin insulation at its finest.

Pros

• Warm
  • Very lightweight
  • Long sleves
  • Hood fits under helmet
  • Long tails
  • Close fit but not tight
  • Dries almost instantly
  • Stretchy

Cons

• No zippered chest pocket
  • Media pocket is small

When I spend my own money on clothes I am pretty particular about what I get in trade for my ducats. In an effort to lighten my pack and keep myself warmer I picked up the Surgent Hoodie for my spring hikes this year.

P5030090.jpg

This is my "far away" look. The farther away, the better I look ;)

The design isn’t groundbreaking, it’s a hooded light jacket meant to be worn under a shell or alone as long as it’s not windy. What I do like about this particular item is its cut, I am 5’ 10” and 195# and it fits my long arms, covers my hips without climbing up and is snug in the chest, but not so tight that I can’t wear it in public.

I also like the fit of the hood, again snug but not Apollo 13 tight. The hood has no elastic or draw closure and I never felt like I needed it because it fitted to my melon so well.

P5030095.jpg

P5030096.jpg

The sleeves are longish and the thumb hole/hand warmer feature works but makes the jacket fit rather snug across my shoulders, another inch of material might have been nice.

P5030099.jpg

P5030100.jpg

The pockets have no zip closure and there is no chest pocket so carrying stuff isn’t its forte.  There is a tiny inside pocket for an mp3 player if you have a really small one. The hand warmer pockets are sewn so they create inside dump pockets large enough for a pair of light gloves.

P5030097.jpg

What I absolutely loved though was that, after I washed it I could wear it straight out of the washer and it dried really quickly from my body heat.  Its no windbreaker, it breathes like a fleece which can be nice when you are moving and don’t want to stop to change.

Is it durable enough to rage through the brush without a snag?  No, but it's not that kind of jacket, it's insulation, stretchy warm and soft insulation. Saying that I will say that workmanship is as you expect from TNF, top notch.

I like wearing this on those 'tweener days when its below freezing in the morning and above during the day. It's a good insulator under a shell or alone when its warmer or moving. If you get snowed or rained on in it it will retain your warmth.

P5030110.jpg

So, for a really light and warm insulating layer this is yet another great option among many.

Alright, Sage, you should know that on principal I don't read TNF reviews. But since you posted it, I decided to open the review and look at it. Very nice review. (Still not buying anything TNF, but nice review!)

FromSagetoSnow

I usually feel the same way GOOSE, thanks for taking a peek.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Nice review, Sage! I really like the look of that fabric. It looks super comfy!

Nice work, Sage. I like the color too.

rated 5.00 of 5 stars All Surgent Full Zip Hoodie versions

In addition to the 1 men's review above, there is 1 review for another version of the Surgent Full Zip Hoodie. Read all reviews »

Visit The North Face's Surgent Full Zip Hoodie page.

The North Face made its Men's Surgent Full-Zip Hoodie because bright days can be brisk too. This polyester fleece provides lightweight warmth for the shoulder seasons and chilly summer mornings and evenings. It also shields your skin from the sun's harmful UV rays, and the kangaroo pocket has an internal media pocket for your phone.

The North Face Surgent Full Zip - Men's. A bold graphic on the left shoulder and hood freshens up this technical hoodie crafted of durable, soft stretch fleece. This performance layer features an internal media pocket to house your MP3 player during your warm-ups, cool downs and everything between. Thumbloops on the cuffs guarantee extra coverage during training. Hand pockets. Hidden interior media pocket. Thumb loops. Three-piece hood. Embroidered logo. Screen-print graphic. Fabric:210 g/m2 100% polyester knit fleece. Length from Center Back: 26 in. Source: Imported. Guarantee: Lifetime Warranty. FlashDry: As a leader in the outdoor industry, The North Face has developed innovative, proprietary fabrics that incorporate microporous particles to improve moisture management and temperature regulation during outdoor activity. FlashDry fabrics feature a microporous particle additive that accelerates the removal of moisture from the skin and speeds evaporative drying. FlashDry enables the user to stay drier, more comfortable and out performing longer in a wide range of weather conditions and environments. FlashDry doesn't add weight or bulk and never washes or wears out. BENEFITS:. Accelerates evaporation and keeps you dry. Most effective moisture management. FlashDry is permanently embedded in the yarn and won't wash out. 100+ different products with FlashDry technology within our running, snowsports, climbing, and hiking apparel, baselayers, and accessories. Available Color(s): Asphalt Grey

- Tahoe Mountain Sports

Free Shipping. The North Face Men's Surgent Full Zip Hoodie FEATURES of The North Face Men's Surgent Full Zip Hoodie Durable, soft stretch fleece Double-layered hood with drawcord Plastisol screen-printed graphic at left chest Kangaroo hand pockets with hidden interior media pocket Self fabric at cuffs and hem SPECIFICATIONS of The North Face Men's Surgent Full Zip Hoodie Average Weight: 15.2 oz / 430 g Center Back Length: 28in. 210 g/m2 100% polyester fleece This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Performance driven and made from soft, durable fleece, The North Face Surgent Full-Zip Hoodie is versatile enough for warm-ups, cool downs, and everything in between.

- EMS