The North Face Verto S6k Glacier GTX

Light and comfortable, but solid boots with a full…

Summary

Light and comfortable, but solid boots with a full shank that take any crampons if needed.

Pros

• Light
  • Solid

Comfort/Ease of use:

I did what you should never do — bought these a couple of hours before a climb into pretty difficult conditions. I'm really glad I did though. We climbed up into knee to hip high fresh powder snow. Breaking trail and kicking steps was not a problem.

Due to the worse than expected conditions we never made it to the peak but my feet were never a concern. I had solid footing and could manoeuvre well, and the S6K's never gave me any blisters or painful spots around the ankles or shins. For these type of boots the comfort out of the box kind of surprised me.

Fit:

I have narrow feet. The S6K's have a tight locking heel and a little bit wider toe box that I think works well for narrow to normal feet. I think if you have wide feet these will not work for you. The lace lock around the ankle works well to tie your foot area, and perhaps go a bit looser up top. The soft  gaiter like top is comfortable on the calfs and shin.

Use:

On subsequent climbs in similar and some milder conditions my overall impression was that I'm very very glad I bought these. On one climb I had packed but left my crampons and was debating climbing up as the trail started steep and icy. The hard sole, front crampon well and relatively sharp side edge of the Verto S6K, allowed me to kick hard enough to get just that little edge I needed.

Performed very well and although it was a long hard climb, these were really comfortable till the end. Construction and material seems rock solid but after only one season I can't say much about durability.

Overall, light and comfortable, but solid boots with a full shank that take any crampons if needed.

Screen-Shot-2014-06-20-at-7-42-07-PM.jpg

Welcome to Trailspace, Jakuchu. Thanks for the review.

Jakuchu

Cheers, and thanks for the opportunity to read and write reviews here..

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thanks for the nice review, Jakuchu! Sounds like you got some good testing in. What area were you climbing in?

Jakuchu

This was all in Kansai, Japan. Perhaps I do have to add that these were all in pretty non-technical climbs that had difficult conditions due to the unusual amounts of fresh snow and white out.

The North Face held nothing back when it designed the Verto S6K Glacier GTX Boot. This is a serious mountaineering boot built for the harshest environments on Earth. With that in mind, The North Face gave the Glacier S6K GTX the best of its extreme climate technology.

Free Shipping. The North Face Men's Verto S6K Glacier GTX Boot FEATURES of The North Face Men's Verto S6K Glacier GTX Upper: Gore-Tex Duratherm waterproof, breathable membrane with thinsulate insulation Smartlite PU mudguard Northotic Pro+ premium EVA footbed with gel heel and OrthoLite forefoot-cushioning pads and TPU Cradle support Stainless steel upper eyelets and locking instep eyelet Bottom: TPU Cradle heel-stability technology with crampon spoiler Four-part, co-molded midsole Agile PU body and EVA heel cushioning TPU shank Vibram Mulaz outsole Polypropylene lasting board SPECIFICATIONS of The North Face Men's Verto S6K Glacier GTX Approx Weight: 1/2 per pair: 1 lb 15.4 oz / 890 g, pair: 3 lbs 14.8 oz / 1780 g This product can only be shipped within the United States. Please don't hate us.

Life in the mountains demands a high level of durability and protection for your feet. The Verto S6K Glacier GTX Boot from The North Face offers the best of both with a GORE-TEX waterproof/breathable liner and tough synthetic uppers that can handle rock, ice, and crampons with ease. Stainless steel eyelets give you secure anchoring for your laces while providing lasting rust-proof performance. Prima-loft insulation, a full shank, and front and full crampon compatibility make this a dream to have on a glacier.

- Mountain Gear

New mountaineering provides best-in-class, full-crampon capability from premium Italian craftsmanship and European build. Waterproof, breathable, GORE-TEX upper membrane combines with lightweight-yet-warm PrimaLoft insulation and Cradle heel technology to deliver maximum performance and confidence for glacier travel. Premier Vibram Mulaz outsole for superior traction over slick surfaces.

- The North Face

Best-in-class, full-crampon mountain boot with Italian craftsmanship and European build features waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX(R) performance; PrimaLoft(R) insulation; and CRADLE(TM) technology to deliver maximum performance and confidence for glacier travel.

- Rocky Mountain Trail