The North Face XTC Midweight Crew

The cut of this shirt is great, with plenty of length…

Fabric: synthetic wicking stuff
Fill: none

The cut of this shirt is great, with plenty of length in the torso (medium-I'm 6'2" tall 186#) and the arms. The material is warm yet fast wicking. I've used it in cold weather hiking, camping, and cool weather running. The fabric is lightweight yet versatile. It held up well during a 5 mile hike with an over-loaded pack at 55 lbs.

I have two problems with the shirt. Its claimed "odor fighting fibers" are vastly inferior to my Smartwool shirt of similar weight and cut, and not much better than my cheap Duofold Champion shirt I use in similar situations. Some odor I can deal with, but this is the only fitted shirt (of several) that I own where the seams cause tender spots on my underarms. The triangle shape in the armpits created by the dual seams doesn't agree with my anatomy. It's not much more than annoying, but after several excursions in the shirt I haven't gotten used to it. When the rest of your body is sore from a good workout or tough hike, any additional and avoidable discomfort creates an exacerbated response.

Had I paid anywhere close to retail for the shirt, I would have given it 3 stars.

The North Face XTC Midweight Crew

The XTC Midweight Crew has been discontinued.

The North Face XTC Midweight Crew is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new base layer top, check out the best reviewed current models.