Therm-a-Rest ToughSkin

Heading to the desert or other prickly, puncture-prone locales? Then you’ll want to check out the Therm-a-Rest ToughSkin sleeping pad, which won a Silver OutDoor Industry Award for innovative technology at the 2006 European OutDoor Trade Fair. The ToughSkin is composed of a top layer of open-cell, self-inflating foam and a bottom layer of closed cell foam, for protection from punctures by thorns, sticks, and sharp rocks, which would otherwise render a self-inflating pad useless.

Therm-a-Rest found that 95 percent of sleeping pad punctures penetrated less than one-tenth of an inch, so they made the ToughSkin’s puncture-resistant material a minimum of one-eighth of an inch thick. In the unlikely event that the inflated portion of the pad is punctured, you’ll still retain the insulation value of the closed cell foam bottom for an insulated night’s sleep.

Small
Size: 20" x 47" (51 cm x 119 cm)
Thickness: 1.5 inches (3.8 cm)
Weight: 1 lb 10 oz (750 g)
R-Value: 5.2
Suggested retail price: $99.95

Regular
Size: 20" x 72" (51 cm x 183 cm)
Thickness: 1.5 inches (3.8 cm)
Weight: 2 lbs 8 oz (1140 g)
R-Value: 5.2
Suggested retail price: $119.95

I am Active Duty in the US Marine Corps. I purchased…

Price Paid: $95 (on base price)

I am Active Duty in the US Marine Corps. I purchased this pad a few years ago for trip to the Big Island of Hawaii for training due to the fact that we train and sleep in mostly old lava flow. I could have not been more comfortable!!

While the standard military issue foam pads were torn up my pad was REMARKABLE! Not one puncture, hole, tear. I got some of the best sleep I have ever had in the field.

I then took it on to Iraq for a couple of tours. There we had the option of a mattress. I asked for a cot and threw my pad on there and slept like that for 14 months total with no problems whatsoever.

I still use it today for recreational camping and hiking. I even got one for my wife. Hands down one of the best pads out there.

With the same size ProLite 3 you get something twice…

With the same size ProLite 3 you get something twice as heavy. I'll admit I do use my ProLite more often but this pad has an important role among my gear. This is always the pad I take when I go on longer trips (5+ days) because the extra reliability is defiantly worth it. Besides its role in the Therm-a-rest family, this pad is very comfortable. It doesn't have those annoying bumps that sometimes occur when you sleep on a large bump or when you sit up and lose yore cushion on your tussin. When weight isn't the primary concern this gets a 5 star.

Therm-a-Rest designed this puncture-resistant ToughSkin mattress to provide unrivaled comfort and reliability on rugged terrain. Its proprietary construction consists of a warm core of open-cell foam, sealed with a tough, airtight layer of closed cell foam on the bottom. By isolating the inner air chamber from damage, this durable construction lets you put your mattress down on just about anything. It s perfect for sleeping out and adds considerably to its versatility around camp. The extra foam also adds a significant amount of insulation, making the ToughSkin mattress ideal for use in extremely cold environments too.Toughskin Mattress Features:Sleep Anywhere: Tough, puncture resistant bottom lets you sleep directly on thorny, rocky and icy terrain.Keep Warm: Exceptional warmth with layers of both closed and open cell foam.Reliable Comfort: Even if the mattress is punctured, it continues to provide as much warmth as our ProLite Plus (3.2 R-value).Regular:Color: Cactus GreenR-Value: 5.2Weight: 2 lbs 8 oz / 1140 gWidth: 20 in / 51 cmLength: 72 in / 183 cmThickness: 1.5 in / 3.8 cmPackaged dimension: 21 x 5.4 in / 53 x 14 cmVolume: 2052 cu. inFoam type: SolidFill material:Urethane Foam & XLPECountry of Origin?: Made in Seattle, USA

- Mountain Hideaway

Do you know if you are going to be camping on horrible terrain?

- GearX.com

Our punctureresistant ToughSkin mattress provides unrivaled comfort and reliability on rugged terrain Its proprietary construction consists of a warm core of opencell foam sealed with a tough airtight layer of closed cell foam on the bottom By isolating the inner air chamber from damage this durable construction lets you put your mattress down on just about anything Its perfect for sleeping out and adds considerably to its versatility around camp The extra foam also adds a significant amount of insulation making the ToughSkin mattress ideal for use in extremely cold environments tooFeaturesbull Sleep Anywhere Tough puncture resistant bottom lets you sleep directly on thorny rocky and icy terrainbull Keep Warm Exceptional warmth with layers of both closed and open cell foambull Reliable Comfort Even if the mattress is punctured it continues to provide as much warmth as our ProLite Plus

- Bentgate.com

No longer will you need to bring both open and closed cell foam on winter trips, the superior puncture-resistance of the Therm-A-Rest ToughSkin backpacking mattress lets you roll it out on any type of terrain without the worry of putting in a hole in it. This rugged, inflatable sleeping pad makes taking a nap on sharp rocks, thorns or branches a comfortable, warm and worry free experience.

- Mountain Gear

Ideal for use in thorny environments, desert and winter camping, and expeditions, the Therm-A-Rest ToughSkin(TM) mattress is a sleeping pad that provides essential warmth, comfort, and performance without weighing you down.

- EMS

Therm-a-Rest ToughSkin

The ToughSkin has been discontinued.

The Therm-a-Rest ToughSkin is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 16, 2013 at Bentgate.com.

If you're looking for a new self-inflating sleeping pad, check out the best reviewed current models.