Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort

This the first self-inflating sleeping pad I have…

Price Paid: $70 / Large

This the first self-inflating sleeping pad I have owned. I normally use closed-cell foam pads. I have only used it on 2 trips a total of 6 nights and I absolutely love it. 3 nights in a tent, 1 on the bare ground, and 2 on snow covered ground and 3 nights in a lean-to with a wooden floor.

I will never go camping without one again. It's comfortable and insulating. I mean let's face it, I'm not as young as I used to be lol.

It's a little heaver than I would like but it's worth its weight in gold. I could have found one that weighed less but I move around a lot when sleep due to a bad injury so I bought a rectangular full length 2" pad. Therm-A-Rest is coming out with some new models for 2009, some of the large ones weigh around 1 pound so I would look there if weight is a issue for you. Yes I would defiantly recommend this to a friend.

I gave it a 4.5 because nothing is perfect just kidding.

Pros
Extremely Comfortable
Good Isolation factor
Rolls up small

Cons
Heavy for a mattress but worth it
Does not fully inflate when it is below 0

I'm giving it a 5 despite the weight because I knew…

I'm giving it a 5 despite the weight because I knew that up front. Sure, it's a little heavier than I'd like, but I find other places to trim weight.

I was able to try out different pads at REI. Before I went, I thought I wanted one of those 3-inch pads, but I didn't like it. The Trail Lite was a little too thin for this side sleeper. When I haven't been able to sleep on the trail, it hasn't been because of the pad. If it looks like rain, I fold it length-wise and roll it up and put straps around it, and rolled like this it's still small enough to fit in the sleeping bag compartment of my Bora 80. When I'm on the Trail Comfort, I don't feel the Arkansas rocks under me.

At my age, you can scrimp on certain things; but after…

At my age, you can scrimp on certain things; but after a day of hiking, I want a good night's sleep. Also, I have a tendency to roll off a regular sized pad. So I got the Trail Comfort in a Large.

If you are thru-hiking, this is not for you at 3lbs 4oz, when a Ridge Rest Large is about 16 oz. However, if you can tolerate the weight, the rewards, in terms of comfort and cushioning are well worth it. You'll get a peaceful, restful night's sleep with this Trail Comfort.

A word of advice: When you are ready to de-camp, open the valve, roll the pad up as tightly as you can, close the valve, unroll the pad, re-roll the pad as tightly as you can and when you are about 75% re-rolled, open the valve to let out the remaining air, then close the valve when finished rolling. You'll get a nice tight roll for your pack. If you use two velcro straps to tighten the roll, it should slip easily into it's carrying case.

I gave it a "4" because for comfort, etc. it rates a "5" minus a "1" for the weight.

Therm-a-Rest's Trail Comfort sleeping pad is packable luxury for water journeys, supportive hostel mattresses and weekend camping.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

Therm-a-Rest's warmest, most comfortable backpacking mattress.Features: Extra thick for increased warmth and comfort. Expanded foam reduces weight and pack size 150D ripstop polyester offers superior durability Ideal Uses: All types of camping and backpackingSpecs: Weight: 3 lbs 3 oz / 1445 g Rolled Size: 26 x 5.1" / 66 x 13 cm R-Value: 5 Thickness: 2" / 5 cm

- Massey's Outfitters refers to the men's version

Therm-a-rest's most comfortable backpacking mattress.

- Ramsey Outdoor refers to the men's version

The Trail Comfort is Thermarest's warmest, most comfortable backpacking mattress.Thermarest Trail Comfort Features: Extra-thick for increased warmth and comfort.Expanded foam reduces weight and pack size.150D ripstop polyester offers superior durability.Weight Length Width Thickness Trail Comfort Regular 2 lb 6 oz 72" 20"" 2" Trail Comfort Long 3 lb 3 oz 77" 25" 2"

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

The Trail Comfort Sleeping Pad is Therm-a-Rest's warmest, most comfortable backpacking mattress. The Trail Comfort Sleeping Pad is light enough for the trail yet comfortable enough for base camp. Fully inflated, the Trail Comfort puts two inches of cush between you and the cold or rocky ground for a comfy nights sleep. The trail rolls up nicely compact, making it easy to pack when space is an issue.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort

The Trail Comfort has been discontinued.

The Therm-a-Rest Trail Comfort is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new self-inflating sleeping pad, check out the best reviewed current models.