Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout

I have loved this pad so far! It is light, warm, and…

Summary

I have loved this pad so far! It is light, warm, and compact!

Pros

• Light
  • Warm
  • Compact

I've been impressed with this pad so far! This is easily the best pad for the price you pay for it! Used them in temperatures around 30 degrees and neither my wife nor I felt any chill from the ground. Not to mention they are quite a bit more comfortable than a closed cell foam pad.

The only issue I have noticed with this pad so far is it was a bit slow to inflate in the colder weather and I ended up giving it a couple breathes to speed the process along.

For the price it's a deal! I bought this item new…

Summary

For the price it's a deal!

Pros

• Better insulation
  • More comfortable

Cons

• Easy to puncture
  • Takes space in off-season

I bought this item new and have enjoyed it for what it was meant for: to isolate and thus insulate you from the heat-sink effects of the ground and to lower your discomfort with sleeping on the ground.

This pad is nice for that, and given the cost, it's weight and size are quite nice, excellent for the beginner or basic Scout.

I've used this in temps above freezing and it was fine, on colder sufaces I added buffers of extra clothing to keep me from rolling off of it at night.

It does pretty well with durability, but I do carry and have used a patch kit on it. if you are going for economical lightweight then this is a good item.

Affordable sleeping pad, it rolls up very small and…

Summary

Affordable sleeping pad, it rolls up very small and is very light. This guy will keep you warm and cozy!

Pros

• Good thermal rating
  • Light
  • Very Packable
  • Includes it's own stuff sack

Cons

• Material is a bit slippery
  • Not as durable feeling as other higher end Therm-a-Rests

This sleeping pad is very comfortable, very easy to use (just unroll it and give it time then add a breath or two and voila!).

I put the durable feeling as a con, however I have to say I have had zero issue with the durability of this sleeping pad. I had a dog sleeping on it and walking on it with her nails and no issues. Also duct tape would adhere well and serve as a quality temporary patch if need be.

This is a low end Therm-A-Rest, but it definitely does the job without breaking the bank. It will keep you elevated and warm without adding a lot weight to your system.

Great value. I researched sleeping pads for months,…

Summary

Great value.

Pros

• Size
  • Weight
  • Self-inflating
  • Stuff sack

Cons

• Thickness

I researched sleeping pads for months, and settled on the Trail Scout in the medium size. I am a side sleeper, so in my side sleeping position, the length is perfect.

I am pleased with the packed size, and the sleeping area, the thickness could be more, but this pad is very comfortable at 1 1/4".

I decided on a self inflate because of altitude concerns, and the lack of air. I will be using this on an upcoming elk hunt where we will be camping at over 10,000 feet. I experienced some altitude sickness the last time I was there, so inflating an air mattress is the last thing I want to do after driving for 27 hours straight, hiking, and setting up camp.

I have slept on this pad and am impressed by its comfort.

If you've owned or used a Therm-a-Rest Trail Scout, please share your experience.